“Flip A Coin” by DrTom

Formerly known as the “Sunday Summer Substitute”, editor Cap'n Rick now takes the helm for 'Smooth Sailing Sundays'. As The Commodores sang about Sunday morning, the SSS will focus on easier metas. SSS will also support smaller grids and will mentor new constructors on request. Puzzles released each Sunday around 8am Eastern. Nudges released same day at Noon Eastern. New constructors are welcome.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Ok to the best of my abilities, here is the solver board:
Cindy Weatherman
JM
Schmeel
Pair O Ducks
Bird Lives
KayW
BarbaraK
MatthewL
Meg
Hector
woozy
markhr
heidi
Gutman
Mr Tex
ajk
Capn Rick
CPJohnson
Darrell
ReB
michaelm
Cindy Heisler
Berto
Tom Wilson
Abide
BrennerTJ
Sharkicicles
hoover
Tyrpmom
Qmark
SeamusOL
Kent
rjy
Laura M
Dow Jones
SJMcK
Mikey G
lbray53
whimsy
Jaclyn
Susan
I K Snamhcoc
Benchen71
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Got it. Nice one, DrTom.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Better late than never? Got it without the nudges and enjoyed. You muggle constructors are knocking these out of the park. Maybe when I can finally retire I can try my hand at it… if people are still doing metas then.
The other Wendy. :roll:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

This one is proving a real page flipper!

1 Cindy Weatherman
2 JM
3 Schmeel
4 Pair O Ducks
5 Bird Lives
6 KayW
7 BarbaraK
8 MatthewL
9 Meg
10 Hector
11 woozy
12 markhr
13 heidi
14 Gutman
15 Mr Tex
16 ajk
17 Capn Rick
18 CPJohnson
19 Darrell
20 ReB
21 michaelm
22 Cindy Heisler
23 Berto
24 Tom Wilson
25 Abide
26 BrennerTJ
27 Sharkicicles
28 hoover
29 Tyrpmom
30 Qmark
31 SeamusOL
32 Benchen71
33 Kent
34 rjy
35 Laura M
36 Dow Jones
37 SJMcK
38 Mikey G
39 lbray53
40 whimsy
41 Jaclyn
42 Susan
43 I K Snamhcok
44 PuzNewbie
45 boharr
46 kurtalert
47 Jim23809
48 JHSeeman
49 Account
50 HeadinHome
51 DIS

Lots of solvers!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HeadinHome wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:51 pm Better late than never? Got it without the nudges and enjoyed. You muggle constructors are knocking these out of the park. Maybe when I can finally retire I can try my hand at it… if people are still doing metas then.
C'mon Wendy, jump in there. They only take up the time that you let them!!!!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well two more added:
52 Carolyn
53 dooiemus
making it one of my most popular, but now it is the end of the road. time for the reveal!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

The Reveal:

This was a fairly straight forward puzzle and was based on a "word ladder". With the starting word being HEAD and the ending word being PAIL, there were 4 other intermediary steps (hinted at by the clue for 15A RUNG).

Flip A Coin Reveal Graphic.jpg

It appears that a lot of people liked it, and the comments have been predominantly favorable so thanks everyone, I hope it provided some entertainment.

Tom
kamashdas

Post by kamashdas »

Tiny nit... HAIR and HEIR seem out of order? That made the ladder a little wonky.
DrTom wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:15 pm The Reveal:

This was a fairly straight forward puzzle and was based on a "word ladder". With the starting word being HEAD and the ending word being PAIL, there were 4 other intermediary steps (hinted at by the clue for 15A RUNG).

Flip A Coin Reveal Graphic.jpg

It appears that a lot of people liked it, and the comments have been predominantly favorable so thanks everyone, I hope it provided some entertainment.

Tom