Rack Up The Points

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I have an idea of perhaps the nature of the mechanism but not the mechanism itself. To accept a nudge or not accept a nudge, that is the question...
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 97. Drab Bag
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

MikeyG wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:08 pm
whimsy wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:49 pm Off the couch/scratch pad.
Capturecouchprinted.PNG
Thanks, DrTom!
I thought that couch had math formulas on it at first, haha.
Maybe it does. :)
Heck of a cheat sheet to try to sneak in to your SAT tests!
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

mindle wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:56 pm
woozy wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:22 pm
HeadinHome wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:23 am Ahhh… from the nudges I see that we may be in an area I know nothing about. Can’t even think of a thing that fulfills what they are cluing. Y’all go on without me…
It's possible that you are in an area you know nothing about, but considering the nature and subject of this forum I highly doubt that.
This conversation got me off the couch :)
Fun puzzle!
Add us to that camp! Great puzzle! Thanks @DrTom
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Cinny wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:49 pm Finally off the couch!! Excellent meta and one I should have gotten without Dr Tom practically having to pull me out from under the couch!!
Oh, come on - after I pried that one paw loose you slid out like a trooper. :D
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MikeyG wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:08 pm I have an idea of perhaps the nature of the mechanism but not the mechanism itself. To accept a nudge or not accept a nudge, that is the question...
When you are ready let me know!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Some I see and some I don’t. This looks like it will fall into the latter category. I will continue regardless! 🤔
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Okay okay — after Dr. Tom was kind enough to assure me that I have indeed had experience with this subject matter (he was very sure) and letting me know it was not the subject matter I assumed and feared it was, from the nudges, I wracked my brain and remembered something. Looked something up, also remembered a comment in a zoom call about “wouldn’t that be a good mechanism…”. And it was. Very, very clever, and I’m sure a challenge to construct!

Couch vacant… back to work!
The other Wendy. :roll:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I realize I have been remiss in posting a solvers board. Here are those who racked their brains long enough to get to the answer:

1 TMart
2 Mme
3 Carolyn
4 oldjudge
5 Laura M
6 Whimsy
7 Meg
8 Benchen71
9 dudeski
10 Bbaack
11 Beth Tyrpin
12 Darth
13 MarkWoychick
14 Woozy
15 boharr
16 Bob cruise director
17 Dplass
18 BarbaraK
19 rjy
20 adamsimonlevine
21 ChrisKochmanski
22 MaineMarge
23 cbarbee002
24 Schmeel
25 cinny
26 minimuggle
27 bhamren
28 mindle
29 lbray53
30 CPJohnson
31 TeamDoubleTow
32 markhr
33 Snood
34 HeadInHome
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Dang. I’m 2 for 3 so far this week.
I’m just not seeing this one.
Attachments
6C4BA26E-46E6-4DA6-A84D-57D673F47A79.jpeg
Konnie
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Well, I finally saw it! A brilliant meta puzzle by one of our own! Congrats to Dr.Tom on its construction.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Hmmm, WSJ comes out, MMM solves go down...I'll bet there is a correlation. OK, here are a few more for the solver board:

33 Snood
34 HeadInHome
35 MikeyG
36 JeanneC

Now, I'm back trying to solve the WSJ which of course everyone is saying is so easy...but then I thought that about this puzzle.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

DrTom wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:13 am Now, I'm back trying to solve the WSJ which of course everyone is saying is so easy...but then I thought that about this puzzle.
All the best with the WSJ. I wouldn't say it's easy. I usually do the WSJ within 10 minutes or so of finishing the grid. This one took hours!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

benchen71 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:21 am
DrTom wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:13 am Now, I'm back trying to solve the WSJ which of course everyone is saying is so easy...but then I thought that about this puzzle.
All the best with the WSJ. I wouldn't say it's easy. I usually do the WSJ within 10 minutes or so of finishing the grid. This one took hours!
Right you are, not easy. Even though I had a good hold on the first part, step two took a bit of soul searching. Managed to get there though,

Thanks for the encouragement
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well only one extra solver in three days.

37 MamaE

Either you are all wrestling with the excellent WSJ meta, finishing up the MGWCC or have tossed the MMM in the corner. Let me give one home stretch nudge for those still struggling:

There are three, possibly four, games that have something to do with “Rack” and “THREEPOINTPLAYS”. In any of those games what would give you three points, and only three points, in a single play? Remember that I said there were a lot of letters in the answer so whatever it is has to be rather plentiful in the puzzle!

Hopefully that will assist some of you that are still “on the rack”
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

I've been RACKing my brain all week. I'm new to meta crosswords and so far I'm completely failing nearly all of them. Even when the answers are revealed I'm struggling to see them or how a person would discover them. (It's so frustrating. Yes, I've read the tips post!) This week's search history is full of complex queries to try and discover games that meet the criteria. I might have found one game but again, no idea how it could apply to the puzzle. I look forward to the revealer and learning from everyone's journey!
boharr

Post by boharr »

edestlin wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:39 am I've been RACKing my brain all week. I'm new to meta crosswords and so far I'm completely failing nearly all of them. Even when the answers are revealed I'm struggling to see them or how a person would discover them. (It's so frustrating. Yes, I've read the tips post!)
Hang in there. We've all been in exactly your position. Yes, it's frustrating, but it will eventually be satisfying.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

edestlin wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:39 am I've been RACKing my brain all week. I'm new to meta crosswords and so far I'm completely failing nearly all of them. Even when the answers are revealed I'm struggling to see them or how a person would discover them. (It's so frustrating. Yes, I've read the tips post!) This week's search history is full of complex queries to try and discover games that meet the criteria. I might have found one game but again, no idea how it could apply to the puzzle. I look forward to the revealer and learning from everyone's journey!
One nice thing about the muggle metas is that the creators are right here on the board. And they really want you to solve their puzzles. So if the published nudges are not enough, you can PM @DrTom He’ll be happy to talk to you and will probably even tell you the game to help you along.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
woozy

Post by woozy »

I'll retract this if Dr. Tom wishes but, my method of solving was to do librarian type research. Dr. Tom said this puzzle was inspired by an earlier puzzle. So I went through these forum discussions of past puzzles to remind myself of past puzzles. I found the inpsiration. (You will know the puzzle when you see it.) Let's call that puzzle; Puzzle X. Tom said that he used the mechanism many had attempted (but failed) on puzzle X. I tried the mechanism that *I* had tried on puzzle X to no avail. I read posts on the forums to see what other people had attempted and found a few people had tried a very creative method that I'd have never have thought of. I tried it on *this* puzzle and .... viola.
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".
KayW

Post by KayW »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:32 am
edestlin wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:39 am I've been RACKing my brain all week. I'm new to meta crosswords and so far I'm completely failing nearly all of them. Even when the answers are revealed I'm struggling to see them or how a person would discover them. (It's so frustrating. Yes, I've read the tips post!) This week's search history is full of complex queries to try and discover games that meet the criteria. I might have found one game but again, no idea how it could apply to the puzzle. I look forward to the revealer and learning from everyone's journey!
One nice thing about the muggle metas is that the creators are right here on the board. And they really want you to solve their puzzles. So if the published nudges are not enough, you can PM @DrTom He’ll be happy to talk to you and will probably even tell you the game to help you along.
I can attest to that - I finally got dragged off the couch with some remedial nudges from the good doctor.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

woozy wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:44 pm I'll retract this if Dr. Tom wishes but, my method of solving was to do librarian type research. Dr. Tom said this puzzle was inspired by an earlier puzzle. So I went through these forum discussions of past puzzles to remind myself of past puzzles. I found the inpsiration. (You will know the puzzle when you see it.) Let's call that puzzle; Puzzle X. Tom said that he used the mechanism many had attempted (but failed) on puzzle X. I tried the mechanism that *I* had tried on puzzle X to no avail. I read posts on the forums to see what other people had attempted and found a few people had tried a very creative method that I'd have never have thought of. I tried it on *this* puzzle and .... viola.
No need to retract, I think this is a great way of doing things. The other puzzle didn't tell you the mechanism, and there were plenty of methods people had tried, and talked about. The fact that you saw something and were clever enough to apply it in this instance and it worked is much like anyone solves a puzzle. In "real" life I often look at any number of indicators to tell me what a problem might be, but if I still cannot lock it down I go to the books (or online journals/tertiary references) to see what they say it might be, If I still cannot get a bead on it, or am not 100% sure, I'll ask for a nudge (or curbside consult).

Any solve is a good solve, whether it is an informed guess, a eureka moment on day 2 or days of slogging through mechanisms until you arrive at one that works. As a matter of fact that kind of journey will eventually make you a better solver of any kind of problem!

Tom