"Water You Looking For?" - June 17, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Late start so no early page. Ashore (99%)
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

1. Water I Looking For? That final click. I’m ashore, probably. I mean, what else could it be? But it would have been a nice surprise to find a clincher.

2. I like the four in the grid better than the one I spliced together.

3. Put the clues for the two answer components together and you get something that’s just as amusingly questionable as the clues for the other four.
Jay
woozy

Post by woozy »

If I don't have it, I've got something every bit as valid.

I'll have a sapphire gimlet. And if there is any issue with my shore membership status put it on Gaffney's bill. Any issue with my answer being valid is on him.
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".
Hammertime

Post by Hammertime »

I have step one (99%) but step two seems more of a slog and I’ll wait till tomorrow to see if I’m on the right track or “hammering” away at the 1% chance I’m wrong
loveboat enthusiast

Post by loveboat enthusiast »

I think we've got it and have submitted. Agree that there's a scintilla of doubt; agree also that there are no other obvious candidates. Took forever to figure out one of the themed clues.
KayW

Post by KayW »

What 58A scheduled my dental appointment for 4pm Thursday?!

...oh wait, that was me :oops:

:tropical_drink: :desert_island: Ashore. A tad late, but with a pearly white smile :D

EDIT: hmmm. Now that others have mentioned it, I DO see one other plausible answer. If I run out of things to do this weekend, maybe I'll see how many more I can find...
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

I am only seeing 1 answer, but that's good enough for me! :desert_island: Ashore
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
curtremarks

Post by curtremarks »

We are ashore! This Thursday head start on the WSJ.com site could become a habit!
Now if only my Celtics can put two wins in a row together.
All the best,
Curtis and Mary
meowmiao71

Post by meowmiao71 »

On shore. Clever one!
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Well, given that we're only on page 4, sounds like others may be having some difficulties as well.

We're going to claim we're ashore, however!! (a couple of 'what about' that makes us not 100% sure, though)

If we can free up our time, we'll sit in on the help session tomorrow afternoon -- we've already submitted, so no issues with that

Rita and George
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

I believe I'm on shore! ⛱️
Cindy Heisler
jrdad

Post by jrdad »

Hammertime wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:20 pm I have step one (99%) but step two seems more of a slog and I’ll wait till tomorrow to see if I’m on the right track or “hammering” away at the 1% chance I’m wrong
I'm in the same place, hoping for an inspiration.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

MMe wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:37 pm Solved quickly but either I'm missing something or, well, they can't all be gems
Did you make any extras of that mug that is your avatar photo? That's an award I can safely say I deserve.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Not sure I agree it’s a 100%er. I’m with those who think it is not. That said I am confident this is the intended answer and have submitted.

Count me ashore

Stay well all
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

C=64 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:37 pm Solved! I got on a train last night in 32D and am struggling with the onboard WiFi. Almost to Berlin, 26 hours later. (Also struggled with the time zone and knowing when the puzzle would drop.) 😅
Haven't even started the puzzle yet, so I don't know where 32D is. But that's a heck of a trip! Or a heck of a layover. (Fire that travel agent!)

And if you mean Berlin, Germany (instead of the one in Wisconsin, or Virginia, West Virginia, Texas, Tennessee, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, Oregon, Ohio, Columbia, Venezuela, Peru, Mexico, South Africa... wow...there are 71 of them throughout the world), enjoy! Love that city. (The German one.) Was just there. Well... "just" as in the end of April. Which seems like only a month and a half ago...
woozy

Post by woozy »

I changed my mind. It's a 100%er but.... not a strong 100% and about these types of fill in what fits puzzles.... well, I can't really say any more but those who know what I'm talking about know what I'm talking about. (If they didn't then they wouldn't know what I'm talking about.)
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Completely lost at sea. I can't even see the boat from here. Ah well.

Update: ashore, see below.
Last edited by Dplass on Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Late start, and had to stare at it a bit. One-Click? Two-Click? ... Got the meta! ... Three-Click. Four-Click?

Done and done.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Merry Potter

Post by Merry Potter »

On the shore. I think I’m getting the hang of these… just have to suffer through next six days waiting for the next one!
0915B6E5-08F0-416D-81A2-B3A931C66979.jpeg
If I don't win a mug, I can always make one... ;) but it won't have the same cachet.
docison

Post by docison »

Volunteered at the US Open today so was late to the party, but now on shore.