"Countdown" - July 8, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Ashore 🍹🏖
-Tamara
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

On shore. I had my margarita earlier this evening.
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

Ashore. Very clever construction. Good luck, Muggles!
pjc

Post by pjc »

Wow - not seeing the 'aha' here at all and am still firmly on the ship

Congrats to the first-time first-pagers that got it so quickly!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

HunterX wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:41 pm Haven't started the puzzle yet (waiting for Friday night traditional solving session with the kids). So not reporting on ship or shore yet. But thought the bird lovers here might appreciate this.

My wife and I have been hearing a strange, rising-hiss sound at night here at our Pocono Mountain cottage. I figured it was some sort of owl, but couldn't find the exact sound online. Then, this afternoon, I heard it again. And what should swoop up to a tree limb on the side of the driveway...?

2022-07-07 Owl 4.jpg

I got some video that includes the hissing sound. But the file size is huge.

He's been hanging around for hours. Hope he stays. Mice are an inevitable problem here. I can live with the weird sound at night.
Beautiful picture! How fun to hear them vocalizing back and forth. Although it looks rather grumpy. :D
Adajeo

Post by Adajeo »

I shouted "Land Ho" about half way into the grid. Alas, my original thought lead me astray. After much floating around, I was able to sidestroke my way to the shore. Proof that you really can and will improve if you just keep trying.
Attachments
Try.PNG
"To finish the moment, to find the journey’s end in every step of the road, to live the greatest number of good hours, is wisdom" Ralph Waldo Emerson
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

Not sure if I’ve posted this before, but during a pandemic thunderstorm we rescued a baby owl in the backyard - the wildlife rescue places were closed for covid, but told us to tie a basket to the tree and put the little guy in the basket. Next morning, it was gone - hoping back to mama.
376B27A3-ACA3-40EC-8661-D304FA3A501F.jpeg
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I'm with Isaac fOR the foreseeable future as I can't seem to CHARt a course to shore. Working off my phone DOesn't usually work well for me. We're helping our daughter and family move to Indiana and their pRInter isn't hooked up and the hotel business center is closed for remodeling. And at the moment I am the sOLE adult survivor of the stomach flu that started with daughter and son-in-law yesterday and moved to husband last night. I'm hitting up Isaac for all the gingerale! Hoping for quick healing for all so that we can all still make it--even if late--to our family reunion in Indy.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

LadyBird wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:44 am I'm with Isaac fOR the foreseeable future as I can't seem to CHARt a course to shore. Working off my phone DOesn't usually work well for me. We're helping our daughter and family move to Indiana and their pRInter isn't hooked up and the hotel business center is closed for remodeling. And at the moment I am the sOLE adult survivor of the stomach flu that started with daughter and son-in-law yesterday and moved to husband last night. I'm hitting up Isaac for all the gingerale! Hoping for quick healing for all so that we can all still make it--even if late--to our family reunion in Indy.
Hope your crew feels better and that you stay healthy! Not having a printer is indeed a crisis! I am in the Indy area if you should want to pick up a hard copy of the puzzle :-). Just shoot me a PM.
Kevin
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

LadyBird wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:58 am
Beautiful picture! How fun to hear them vocalizing back and forth. Although it looks rather grumpy. :D
It does look grumpy, though that's probably just the position of the head when I took the shot. I think it was staring at my wife at the time. Other photos don't look quite as grumpy. And the video showing it bob it's head around looks pretty cute.

When a bird that size, who is that close, with huge sharp talons, stares you down, it can be quite disconcerting!

While I was sitting on the deck, listening to them talk to each other last evening, the juvenile eventually heeded it's parent's call and with a couple flaps of its huge wings, lifted off from its perch in the trees and soared silently over my head towards its parent. All was quiet last night. The mice must have been celebrating.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

HunterX wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:41 pm But thought the bird lovers here might appreciate this.
And what should swoop up to a tree limb on the side of the driveway...?

2022-07-07 Owl 4.jpg
One of these was hanging out in Central Park several months ago, and there was much talk about it. Even non-birders would go to look up at the tree where it spent much of its time. I am, despite my handle on this forum, very much a non-birder, and I thought people were talking about the "bard owl." How nice, I thought, to have a poetic bird in our midst.
Jay
Gman

Post by Gman »

No land in sight for me.
jrdad

Post by jrdad »

Ashore!
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

All i can say to people on the boat that this is not a Gaffney so do not overthink it
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
Danny Vee

Post by Danny Vee »

I must be overthinking it. Grid wasn’t bad at all, but still hanging with Isaac. :(
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

boharr wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:47 pm On shore. Okay. A quick one (or two). Have to pack. Off for the weekend to visit my daughter who is interning in the New Hampshire forests. Not to worry though.They have bars there too as well as trees and mountains.
@boharr A bar in New Hampshire is a large black furry animal with claws. Make sure you have running shoes on.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Bloody hell. We are lost in space.........
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Grid done yesterday.
Highlighters and notes galore.
And Isaac's no help!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Lemon pie and puzzle at the breakfast bar. Yum!
Grid done. Solution? Still to be found.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
DianeA

Post by DianeA »

Ashore and enjoying my toes in the sand for the second week in a row! I'll have a Tom Collins, please.
Didn't think i would ever get this one, so don't give up hope.