"Now That's a Gift!" - December 24, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Made it to the ๐Ÿ.. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night. ๐ŸŽ„
Jack Sullivan
meowmiao71

Post by meowmiao71 »

On shore after a couple of visits to rabbit holes (and obsessing over a bit of weirdness I noticed). Very cute!

Happy holidays to all!
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Jeremy Smith wrote: โ†‘Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:10 pm Finally onshore. Tried too hard to apply a different mechanism to the pieces, but only got gibberish. Then I realized there was another step. From there it was a quick trip to shore.
Iโ€™ll be cooking tomorrow, so I donโ€™t know how much time Iโ€™ll have for Mattโ€™s week 4 meta. The menu is nowhere near elaborate as Cindyโ€™s, but Iโ€™m only cooking for my wife and one of my sisters. Iโ€™ll be cooking for eight on New Yearโ€™s eve, though.

Tomorrowโ€™s menu:
Cajun smoked salmon dip (from scratch)
Garlic roast beef with gravy
Smashed gorgonzola baby red potatoes
Mashed cauliflower
Seasoned green beans
Whatever dessert my sister brings
"Another step". Do I now have to consider myself to have been nudged? :-) Ashore.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Ashore. Classic.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

On shore.

Travel day today. Our hotel receptionist was kind enough to print a copy for us to complete.

Merry Christmas everyone.

I hope Matt is as good to us this week as Mike was.
BeTheLight

Post by BeTheLight »

Solved! One of the fastest meta solves I've had and even the grid was on the easy side. I guess that's so we can enjoy the holiday!
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

I have what I believe is the answer, but there is just one thing that bothers me.

Update: Ashore with confidence

Oh yes. Typically traditional meal:
Turkey
Sausage stuffing
Honey roasted ham
Red wine
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Cranberry sauce
Red wine
Carrot soufflรฉ
Creamed corn
Red wine
Green beans
Pumpkin pie

Oh yeah, everyone brings a bottle of red!
Last edited by cbarbee002 on Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Safely on shore after extricating myself from a Christmas themed rabbit hole. Always nice to come back a few hours later and have a tiny a-ha that quickly leads to a much bigger A-HA.

Merry Christmas to all those who partake!

Now that's the gift!
Now that's the gift!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Well, I see something that I think is Step 1, but haven't figured out what to do with it. Hopefully sleeping on it will bring it to light.

Funny text auto correct story:
I am the Communion Steward at my church and texted the pastor what he needed me to do to prepare for tomorrow's service. He replied, "I plan to be there around 11am to change parakeets out to white. "
I had to laugh out loud at that.
Some of you will know what he was trying to say. For those who don't know; the fabric hangings on the altar, communion table and pulpit are called paraments. There are different colors for different seasons on the liturgical calendar and white for certain special occasions.
Had to share that with my word nerd friends. I told my husband and he just gave me a blank look.
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

Ashore! Fun one and my first Thursday solve! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
Toby

Post by Toby »

Solved. Time to do grid: 10 minutes. Time to solve meta: 5 minutes. Time to fix printer beforehand 4 hours, but bless the folks who post videos on how to do things like this. I was very proud because I even had to make a new part out of a guitar pick, but it worked! And when I put it all back together there were only 2 screws left.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

cbarbee002 wrote: โ†‘Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:32 pm I have what I believe is the answer, but there is just one thing that bothers me.

Update: Ashore with confidence

Oh yes. Typically traditional meal:
Turkey
Sausage stuffing
Red wine
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Cranberry sauce
Red wine
Carrot soufflรฉ
Creamed corn
Red wine
Green beans
Pumpkin pie

Oh yeah, everyone brings a bottle of red!
Butโ€ฆthe question isโ€”
Are you cooking it, Chris??? :lol: :lol:
woozy

Post by woozy »

Ashore. But who has time to do these over christmas. I guess I do. Fun won.
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

On shore. It's a Festivus miracle!
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I'm ashore - tonight it was an excellent vintage port to celebrate!
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

Ashore! I was a bit late downloading the puzzle, but solved it pretty quickly. Then, I spent the better part of two hours staring at it, memorizing what seemed to be the key entries, but having no idea how to proceed on the meta, until bedtime. Turned out the light, rolled over, closed my eyes, and โ€ฆ bingo! โ€ฆ realized what the gimmick had to be.

Thereโ€™s a saying attributed to some author (canโ€™t remember who), and it goes something like this: โ€œWriting is easy. I just sit down, stare at the typewriter until little drops of blood appear on my forehead, and then begin to type!โ€ I can relate โ€ฆ ๐Ÿ˜ณ โ€ฆ ๐Ÿ˜œ.
hoover

Post by hoover »

I've been hanging out here on the boat with Isaac since about 15 minutes after my refresh-refresh-refresh yielded a link to the .puz file.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Does anyone (besides @hoover and me) still need this?

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

SewYoung wrote: โ†‘Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:57 pm Well, I see something that I think is Step 1, but haven't figured out what to do with it. Hopefully sleeping on it will bring it to light.

Funny text auto correct story:
I am the Communion Steward at my church and texted the pastor what he needed me to do to prepare for tomorrow's service. He replied, "I plan to be there around 11am to change parakeets out to white. "
I had to laugh out loud at that.
Some of you will know what he was trying to say. For those who don't know; the fabric hangings on the altar, communion table and pulpit are called paraments. There are different colors for different seasons on the liturgical calendar and white for certain special occasions.
Had to share that with my word nerd friends. I told my husband and he just gave me a blank look.
Having read Ferrol Sams, I *know* that I was "raised right", but we were sure never exposed to such colorful decorations during those Sunday morning lectures. Closest thing to a decoration in our religion woulda been those brown bags you got at the liquor store.

On the subject of unfamiliar words, just got a kick out of one of the results of my research of this one:

>>>>
PARAMENTS is an unusual word in English. It is defined in the Standard Dictionary, "rich and ornamental clothes and furniture." Webster cites this line from Chaucer which indicates its ancient meaning: "Lords in paraments on their coursers."
>>>>

Made for *two days in a row* of coming across "coursers"! Had also run across it whilst down a meta rabbit hole, yesterday! Shall leave it at that for now. . .
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Still on the boat, likely to be here a while.
Cynthia