"Water You Looking For?" - June 17, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Late start but on shore.
Toast

Post by Toast »

Speaking of 42A, say hi to Berlin for me, C=64, I spent 20 years there and do miss the summer nights in the Kiez and the outdoor movie theaters.

Oh, this little thing? That's just the shore I am a-.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Merry Potter wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:54 pm On the shore. I think I’m getting the hang of these… just have to suffer through next six days waiting for the next one!
No need to wait! There are a few additional weekly metas on this site:

MMM (Muggle Meta Mondays) - the current puzzle is "The Devil Lived in the Details" by DrTom
MOAT (Meta on a Tuesday) - the current puzzle is "Online Shopping" by me
MEOW (Madhatter's Enigma on Wednesdays) - the current puzzle is "Pent-up Emotions" also by DrTom as it happens
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

I’m on shore. Took way too long but I’m happy.
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

AHA! Ashore and enjoying my gimlet as I type this.

Covid has just interfered with all of our big fun plans for our weekend on the lake, as it did on Mother's Day weekend! That means we will be flying solo yet again, but will make the best of it.

I sure feel bad for our adult kids and their families going through it, a few are on round 2. 6 out of our 8 adult family members (all of us are vaxxed and boosted) have now had it at least once. Thankfully only 1 of the 6 grandkids had it and it was extremely mild.

Cheers to all the dads and granddads...enjoy your well deserved love and attention!
🌴🍹
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

On Naboo. (side eye at darth)

I think there is an equally suitable second answer that should also be given credit.
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
shalmanezer

Post by shalmanezer »

Was just going to say . . . I could make a strong case for two answers. Pretty sure I know which one is intended. But I'm surprised there's even a possibility of another answer.
RicoTheSwede

Post by RicoTheSwede »

On shore. A little lame this week?
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Ashore! I think.

Capturebunarrgh.PNG

Captain Jack Burrow is not 100% --- feels it may be "just a suggestion."
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Ashore, with no doubts.
Water you’re looking for? Gotcha covered.
1D98F518-D54F-420A-AF80-1BDF3B66017B.jpeg
An October day finds our cat staring down the meta rabbit at our water lily pond.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Ashore, and ready for a weekend.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

We are on shore--with SOme uncertainty. Had a late start, because I was volunteeriNG at our local nature center--talking about turtles and helping THe kids do pond dips. Then we had to do an airport RUn. I did the grid and found the first part of step one on the drive out. Then Dave and I haSHed out the rest of it on the drive home after dropping off our son and daughter-in-law.

It's getting late here--I'll have an iced coffee in the morning.

Happy Father's Day to all you dads and grandpas out there.

Kilbeggan (by the distillery), County Westmeath, Ireland, October 2019
woozy

Post by woozy »

Oh, my! I see the other option everyone is talking about. It's *very* close to what I believe to be the correct answer but I'm surprised Mike did not see that they both fit. One fits slightly better than the other but the other is not so ill-fitting to be out of the question.

(Ran it by Mrs. woozy "Do you think xxx and yyyy are blank?" "Yes." "What about wwwww and zzzzzz?" "No" "You don't?" "No" "what about aaaaa and bbbbb?" (actually themers from the grid) "No. Not really"... so there you have it; Mrs. w thinks there is only one valid answer but the puzzle as given is only partially valid)
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

I’m identifying as on shore. 🏖
Konnie
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

It will be fun to see all the different alternate options we all derive by the end of this weekend! 8-)

(unless they’re all the same and we’re all like :roll: )
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
Gman

Post by Gman »

Ashore. Fun one. I can defend my answer 100%, so if there is an alternative answer, I'm not going to sweat it. Of course, it's supposed to be close to 100 degrees in Zurich this weekend (not a lot of air conditioning here, and none where I live), so I'll be sweating for other reasons. :shock:
NDStegs

Post by NDStegs »

Ashore! (Fitting the crossword title)
CallMeShane

Post by CallMeShane »

Once again saved by Tommy James and the Shondells.

Got some "Midnight Loo 'Spiration".

Done
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

I think I'm ashore. I can't say I liked this puzzle. Ah well, they all can't be ones we all like.
ALS

Post by ALS »

Ashore. Meh.

ALS