"Countdown" - July 8, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
woozy

Post by woozy »

I don't see *how* I can be over-thinking it. The only thoughts lower than mine is "Is the answer COUNTDOWN". All other thoughts are "there must be something to find here" but apparently "it must be hidden" is too high-flying. But "It's might be visible" is just not possible. I've been staring at this grid for 18 hours and I'm not sure I've ever seen entries that could possibly have less to do with the theme, hint, prompt, title, subject, or each other.

I suppose "they all have letters" could be a lower thought but that's about it.
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".
rjy

Post by rjy »

Still hanging with Isaac here... BUT! I must point out that my wife Ellen was close friends growing up with Joyce Parker, whose father was Eugene Parker of clue 11D. She never had a clue that her friend's dad was such an esteemed physicist. He was the first to posit the notion of solar winds, and was essentially mocked by peers for the concept until later proven right. He died earlier this year, but lived long enough to see the launch of the Parker Solar Probe - picture of that moment below.

If you're curious, further info at https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/parker-solar-probe

Ray
ajk

Post by ajk »

No clue here. At least Isaac seems well stocked with beer.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Good grief. I am so totally at sea. Every start leaves me nowhere. I guess I know where I'll be at 4:30 today!
turbotron

Post by turbotron »

Yowza - a tougher grid than usual for me, with no obvious meta-leads. How about another round, Isaac? Count one down, pass it around...
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

Still making it too hard. All I see is ocean to the horizon.
I am a man of few...
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

LadyBird wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:44 am I'm with Isaac fOR the foreseeable future as I can't seem to CHARt a course to shore. Working off my phone DOesn't usually work well for me. We're helping our daughter and family move to Indiana and their pRInter isn't hooked up and the hotel business center is closed for remodeling. And at the moment I am the sOLE adult survivor of the stomach flu that started with daughter and son-in-law yesterday and moved to husband last night. I'm hitting up Isaac for all the gingerale! Hoping for quick healing for all so that we can all still make it--even if late--to our family reunion in Indy.
Don't forget the Saltines
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
meowmiao71

Post by meowmiao71 »

Uhhh...staring at the stars hoping for inspiration and all I see is darkness.

EDIT: On shore
Last edited by meowmiao71 on Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

HunterX wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:55 am
LadyBird wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:58 am
Beautiful picture! How fun to hear them vocalizing back and forth. Although it looks rather grumpy. :D
It does look grumpy, though that's probably just the position of the head when I took the shot. I think it was staring at my wife at the time. Other photos don't look quite as grumpy. And the video showing it bob it's head around looks pretty cute.

When a bird that size, who is that close, with huge sharp talons, stares you down, it can be quite disconcerting!

While I was sitting on the deck, listening to them talk to each other last evening, the juvenile eventually heeded it's parent's call and with a couple flaps of its huge wings, lifted off from its perch in the trees and soared silently over my head towards its parent. All was quiet last night. The mice must have been celebrating.
@HunterX Just imagine if you are one of these (Northern Saw Whet Owl) which weighs about as much as an iPhone 5. They are an appetizer for Barred Owls

Saw Whet in flight.jpg
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Cruciverbalisticexpi

Post by Cruciverbalisticexpi »

Ashore! By sheer luck. Unfortunately I've just started a dry July, so I'll have a Roy Rogers!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Ashore with a nudge, that looking back on it, I shouldn't have needed.
Cindy Heisler
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good Friday afternoon muggles

To paraphrase Dinah Washington "what a difference a week makes, 168 little hours".

An interesting challenge from Mr. Shenk but it is pure Mike (or Marie Kelly for those who remember)

So far we have 15 with Isaac on the ship and 57 on the shore.
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:06 pm
HunterX wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:55 am
When a bird that size, who is that close, with huge sharp talons, stares you down, it can be quite disconcerting!
@HunterX Just imagine if you are one of these (Northern Saw Whet Owl) which weighs about as much as an iPhone 5. They are an appetizer for Barred Owls

Saw Whet in flight.jpg
Beautiful photo!

Reading about the Barred Owl (I'm not very knowledgeable about birds), I learned that in some places they are considered invasive, crowding out other owls and making their populations endangered. I suppose eating smaller owls would also have a contributing effect!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Whew, got it, finally. Thanks Cinny and lbray53 for your shoves in the right direction.
Cynthia
drbdb@comcast.net

Post by drbdb@comcast.net »

Finally ashore! Toes in the sand!
Last edited by drbdb@comcast.net on Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

same - like a rock to the bottom, looking for a life line - can I phone a friend?
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Late to the party here because I am printerless at an Airbnb near Stowe VT. Have never been up here in summer and it is awesome. I’m with my aforementioned daughter in law and we did the grid and solved the meta on iPhone between brewery visits.

Quick and fun one from Mike!!

Stay well all
sfed

Post by sfed »

Ashore!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

I do believe I am 🏝🏝ON SHORE🏝🏝

I’ll wait for DD ( and fellow muggle) Regfish7 to weigh in and confirm before submitting but the answer fits and makes sense so it must be right! Right?
I Tried several things over the last 16 hours until something finally worked! I feel I had been making it harder than it is!
Now to get a adult beverage snd head down to the lake…. 🍹
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore, grateful that I won't have to spend the rest of the weekend lost at sea, fruitlessly obsessed with the puzzle. This is a good development, since we want to have dinner at a nice restaurant in celebration of our 51st wedding anniversary.