Rack Up The Points

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
DrTom

Rack Up The Points

Post by DrTom »

Well intrepid solvers we meet again on a Monday. I hope the couches are warmed and ready. This one may take a while, but it is due to the size of the answer (a greater than 10 letter multi word phrase) and not the difficulty, which I see as about a 2 at the VERY most.

Like most of my puzzles, this came after an inspiration from another (that I struggled with mightily). The mechanisms are nothing alike, but I bet when you catch on to what this is you will remember the other puzzle!

So, all my Monday Mugglers, gather pens, pencils, notepads, clipboards, markers and off to the solving tables!

All the usual apply:
(1) Leaderboard
(2) Wednesday nudges
(3) PM me your answers/questions
(4) Silly, punny answers to your questions ✓✓✓✓✓

Here are the file links. I do not usually include the Grid picture, however, let me know if you want to start seeing that when I post a puzzle. If you as solvers think it is helpful I’ll include it in the future.

Rack Up the Points PUZ

Rack Up the Points PDF

Rack Up the Points spreadsheet
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
TMart

Post by TMart »

Off the couch! Just what the Doctor ordered for a Monday morning!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I am trying! Honest.

Way too early for a hint so I am taking an exercise break and hoping for inspiration.

Maybe I can rack up some wellness points.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

🛋, and I did remember it. Thanks Tom, fun puzzle!
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

I am working on it too, but my job keeps getting in the way of progress.

BTW, 10A is excellent and I recommend it if you haven’t already seen it
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

oldjudge wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:56 pm 🛋, and I did remember it. Thanks Tom, fun puzzle!
I knew at some point someone would!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MarkWoychick wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:38 pm I am working on it too, but my job keeps getting in the way of progress.

BTW, 10A is excellent and I recommend it if you haven’t already seen it
I know right! I HATE it when the paying job gets in the way of the playing job...

I mean it was always like, "Darn it, why did you wait until you were THAT sick to come in???" (obviously kidding, though I could never understand when someone would say "well I got this pain in my arm and thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest but I figured it would go away" or "I saw something flash in front of my eyes and then my arm went numb and I started to drool, so I took a Tylenol")

St. Elsewhere and ER, I thought you taught them better!!! :)
vandono

Post by vandono »

Sweet wife worked as an MLT in a standalone-ER until fairly recently. She has stories - but I think more from the other end of the spectrum.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Feeling dumb I can't sink my toes in a level <= 2.

Great clueing as always
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

What could be better than a meta by Dr Tom and a new cactus bloom?
Attachments
0F9E6001-E9F0-48F0-835A-14DCF0A8DC06.jpeg
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

madhatter5 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:55 pm Feeling dumb I can't sink my toes in a level <= 2.

Great clueing as always
Same and same.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

vandono wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:40 pm Sweet wife worked as an MLT in a standalone-ER until fairly recently. She has stories - but I think more from the other end of the spectrum.
I'll bet a lot of them start either:
(1) Well we was drinkin....
(2) My buddy said, "you ain't got the nerve...."
(3) Who'd have thought a firecracker would do that...
(4) And my favorite: I was walking through the {insert room here], slipped and fell and this [chose object here - note I did not say INSERT] just got lodged....
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

oldjudge wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:09 pm What could be better than a meta by Dr Tom and a new cactus bloom?
Apparently you can get stuck on either?
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

madhatter5 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:55 pm Feeling dumb I can't sink my toes in a level <= 2.

Great clueing as always
Wow, I am starting to feel badly. I perhaps thought that this would go quickly because so many people said this was exactly what they tried on the puzzle which inspired it. I may have to have early nudges? I'll wait a day though cause some are filtering in.
vandono

Post by vandono »

DrTom wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:16 pm
vandono wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:40 pm Sweet wife worked as an MLT in a standalone-ER until fairly recently. She has stories - but I think more from the other end of the spectrum.
(4) And my favorite: I was walking through the {insert room here], slipped and fell and this [chose object here - note I did not say INSERT] just got lodged....
Yes, sir - all of that and a lot of "why is this an emergency?" And then the two guys who robbed a nearby AT&T store, wrecked their car at the intersection next to the ER while running from the police and just strolled into the ER for treatment.

Edit: oh, and MLS, not MLT. Don't tell her I got those confused again. :?
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Off the couch! Wonderful puzzle, DrTom!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Off the couch/scratch pad.
Capturecouchprinted.PNG
Thanks, DrTom!
Meg

Post by Meg »

I’m OTC! Very nice, Dr. Tom!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Off the couch! Excellent puzzle!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

vandono wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:23 pm
DrTom wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:16 pm
Yes, sir - all of that and a lot of "why is this an emergency?" And then the two guys who robbed a nearby AT&T store, wrecked their car at the intersection next to the ER while running from the police and just strolled into the ER for treatment.

Edit: oh, and MLS, not MLT. Don't tell her I got those confused again. :?
What severe hangovers, constipation and loneliness are not Emergencies?

Don't worry, your secret is safe with me, I don't want to hear you got Mondor's from a bad stick....