"Math Ed" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"Math Ed" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? Is this puzzle about mathematics or something else? Yes! Jump on in, and see if you can find the answer to the meta which is a song title.

PM me with your submissions or submit on Crosshare. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Math Ed - Online Form
Math Ed - PUZ
Math Ed - PDF
Math Ed - spreadsheet

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

It's also an anniversary of sorts: about a year ago I solved my first meta!

I'd always been quite keen on crosswords, especially themed ones. But I almost always skipped over the WSJ Friday puzzle. Why? Because they were not themed (at least, not in a way that I recognised) and I never understood what the "contest answer" was all about. Anyway, this time last year I was on the mid-year break between school terms, with some time on my hands (translation: thesis-writing avoidance!) So I sat down and with the help of the discussion on xword-muggles I looked over a couple of the recent WSJ puzzles... and fell in love! Then, the July 16th 2021 puzzle was "We're Back In Business" - and I solved it! A week later, I solved "Two For One" - and posted for the first time. You were all incredibly welcoming - @Meg even replied to my post asking about my favorite brand of gin!

I started creating my own metas, posting the first one in the "Other meta crosswords" forum: "Financial Downturn" on Aug 25th. Again, you were all incredibly supportive, so I kept creating them and soon afterwards MOAT was born. Here we are, almost a year after my first meta solve, and "Math Ed" is meta number 48, if you include an MMM, two MEOWs, and one guest Gaffney spot. And there are plenty more metas to come. (Last week I constructed meta number 104!)
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Congratulations, Ben. 🎉 I'm so glad you discovered your love for metas. The MOAT gives me something fun and, more often than not, challenging to look forward to on Tuesday mornings! Keep them coming.Thank you!
Cindy Heisler
Meg

Post by Meg »

benchen71 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:01 am It's also an anniversary of sorts: about a year ago I solved my first meta!

I'd always been quite keen on crosswords, especially themed ones. But I almost always skipped over the WSJ Friday puzzle. Why? Because they were not themed (at least, not in a way that I recognised) and I never understood what the "contest answer" was all about. Anyway, this time last year I was on the mid-year break between school terms, with some time on my hands (translation: thesis-writing avoidance!) So I sat down and with the help of the discussion on xword-muggles I looked over a couple of the recent WSJ puzzles... and fell in love! Then, the July 16th 2021 puzzle was "We're Back In Business" - and I solved it! A week later, I solved "Two For One" - and posted for the first time. You were all incredibly welcoming - @Meg even replied to my post asking about my favorite brand of gin!

I started creating my own metas, posting the first one in the "Other meta crosswords" forum: "Financial Downturn" on Aug 25th. Again, you were all incredibly supportive, so I kept creating them and soon afterwards MOAT was born. Here we are, almost a year after my first meta solve, and "Math Ed" is meta number 48, if you include an MMM, two MEOWs, and one guest Gaffney spot. And there are plenty more metas to come. (Last week I constructed meta number 104!)
Actually it was @Wendy Walker who suggested you tell "Meg's cabana boy" what kind of gin you like. Nobody beats @Wendy Walker when it comes to a welcoming spirit and a kind heart. I’ll take credit for suggesting Tuesday as your meta day of the week, though.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Meg is very welcoming, herself! That's obvious to all, but needs to be said. 🙂

Congratulations, Ben!
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Happy anniversary, Ben! You've been an inspiration for me, and I appreciate all of your patience and support. Keep up the good work!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Nicely done! The perfect mix of observation, find the path and intuition.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Solved. Congrats, Ben, on the anniversary
ajk

Post by ajk »

Castle in ruins. Was fun, thanks. Congrats on the anniversary!
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
woozy

Post by woozy »

Wait... this guy has more than one song? Yeah, I'm not going to get this.
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I got it, I got it! Whoo-hoo! Can it be that I am learning to think like Ben? Well, nah, probably not. But I have hope for the future.
Cynthia
Abide

Post by Abide »

Cindy wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:54 am Nicely done! The perfect mix of observation, find the path and intuition.
Couldn't agree more! Congrats on the year of MOATs :!:
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Crossed the moat with some encouragement from Cynthia.
Cindy Heisler
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Still a few hours to go on the first 24 hours. But I have a busy afternoon, so here's the list of successful solvers:

Laura M
markhr
Cindy Weatherman
Hector
Bbaack
DIS
Meg
Tyrpmom
boharr
Tom Wilson
ChrisKochmanski
Bird Lives
ajk
Gutman
Golem
CPJohnson
Abide
Cindy Heisler

Congrats to @Laura M - first solver two weeks in a row!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Happy Meta-versary from across the moat!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well solved without hints, but with prodding so I cannot claim a complete victory. It is certainly an interesting Meta.

So, MOAT crossed
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

A few more solvers trickling in...

clev
BarbaraK
THC
DrTom

We're up to 22.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Crossed the MOAT today soon after I got back to looking at the grid. Very creative and enjoyable time that drew on deduction and intuition.
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

Crossed the MOAT!

Took me a couple of attempts, but only because the Wikipedia article I used was super misleading. Mechanism was lovely, and the grid made me laugh a few times.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Stormed the castle! Thanks, Ben! Google is definitely not your friend for this meta.