43. Each Gobbler

Puzzles! Puns! The occasional crosswordese! Solve a new meta at the end of each of month at https://punofakind.blogspot.com/
MikeyG

43. Each Gobbler

Post by MikeyG »

PDF and PUZ

Crosshare

---

A belated happy Thanksgiving! I am stuffed (like my turkey).

It was surreal to watch one of my dreams come true with my guest stop on MGWCC #755 last week - a hearty thank you to all of you for solving and for the boundless encouragement you've given me these past two years! Here's to more puzzling to come!

---

Puzzle #42 recap

Puzzle #42 answer: FACETIOUSLY

Correct entries: 43

While I'm not the biggest fan of anagramming in a meta, since I like there to be a systematic way to spell out any meta answer, that was unavoidable here - but the last clue LESS implies that there are only 11 of something in this grid.

The something in question are the letters themselves! Maybe a casual puzzle with a lot of common letters and crosswordese will get to 16-18 unique letters, but for a puzzle to contain only 11 unique letters is certainly suspect (especially with a couple common letters, "N" and "R," nowhere to be found).

Once we recognize there are only 11 letters (ACEFILOSTUY in alphabetical order), the only step left is to rearrange them into our answer. The prompt tells us we have a single word, one that likely ends in the letters "-LY" based on the prompt, and it was convenient that all six vowels (even including "Y"!) come in alphabetical order in the word! That semi-known factoid applies to the meta answer FACETIOUSLY, which is definitely how I clue!

---

A super shout-out to @whimsy on this, who was able to test-solve and give feedback in the eleventh hour! So much appreciated!!!

43. Each Gobbler

The answer to the meta is a phrase that I wish applied to solving crosswords.

The deadline is Monday, December 5 at 1 PM ET.

---

Good luck, and may all your solves be beautiful!

Mikey G
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I have just gotten the bird! Great puzzle Mikey and happy Thanksgiving!
Meg

Post by Meg »

That was mighty challenging!! Many, many tunnels with no bunny. But fun!!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I got a suggestion today to try this one, and really enjoyed it - Thanks!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Got it!

Fun!

And, as usual with a MikeyG, I chuckled often at the clues.
boharr

Post by boharr »

I have it. Thanks, Mikey.
KayW

Post by KayW »

A very tasty meta - thanks Mikey!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Rabbit holes aplenty (mentioned them on Crosshare), but a fun elegant meta once I backed out of them all. Enjoyed it, Mikey!
Ray
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

KayW wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:28 pm A very tasty meta - thanks Mikey!
I've made that face before.

benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I'm in that unfortunate position of seeing nothing promising emerge from the grid, and yet people seem to be finding their way to the answer. Ah well, looking forward to the nudges!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

benchen71 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:25 pm I'm in that unfortunate position of seeing nothing promising emerge from the grid, and yet people seem to be finding their way to the answer. Ah well, looking forward to the nudges!
You're not alone. This is me many weeks...
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I KNOW what I am looking for and still cannot find it - hopefully the nudges will be a step beyond what I already have.

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
rjy

Post by rjy »

FWIW, I got the metanism in an oh so typical way, by typing a nudge-request message listing out what I had seen and having it click then.
Ray
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Another great meta from Mikey G. Fun grid.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Nudges coming tomorrow!

Or ask any of these fine folks:

whimsy (TS)
oldjudge
Meg
BrennerTJ
Cindy
I K Snamhcok (I just got this user name today, haha)
dannyvee
Myelbow
boharr
DJB
Philip Chow
Bbaack
KayW
Abide
Hector
DIS
rjy
Matt A
Dow Jones

And enjoy my dancing until then:

Turkey G

DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well, FINALLY!! Thanks Mikey, it took a while but I got to eat my meal! Now I'll just gobble up your dancing.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

MikeyG wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:55 am Nudges coming tomorrow!
It’s tomorrow!

Fun grid. For the meta, I’m finding too much or not enough of everything I look for.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

BarbaraK wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:03 pm
MikeyG wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:55 am Nudges coming tomorrow!
It’s tomorrow!

Fun grid. For the meta, I’m finding too much or not enough of everything I look for.
Completely slipped my mind - sorry about that! I'll see if I get a spare moment or after work! (Need to catch up on your grids as well, @benchen71!).

benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

MikeyG wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:11 pm Completely slipped my mind - sorry about that! I'll see if I get a spare moment or after work! (Need to catch up on your grids as well, @benchen71!).
And I need those nudges! :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Nudge Wednesday

0. The title is really just a pun on "Peach Cobbler"; other than telling you "gobblers" are involved, it doesn't do much in this particular case. (That's normally not fair, but most of the guidance comes from the pointer clues within the grid.)

1. 45-Across tells us we're looking for FIVE instances of "fowl language" within these clues...

2. ...and these instances are the "gobblers" per the title! What animal gobbles?? (I think we know that.)

3. So (spoiler alert) we're looking for five references to our gobbling animal within the clues.

4. More specifically, five clues end with some definition or allusion to "turkey" (not just me).

5. Two of these five clues directly reference the animal; three others reference three disparate meanings. (These will be directly referenced in Spoiler #8 below, as a fair warning.)

6. The one that was most tenuous was one I asked my mom about, and she said that is a completely common use of "turkey" as a slang term, so it stayed in!

7. While giving this to @whimsy to test-solve, I said that I had to hurry and clue the downs really quickly. In other words, I accidentally divulged the down clues don't do much in this meta!

8. The categories: turkey you eat (two), geography, sports, slang for things that aren't great.

9. Once you find the five entries that correspond to the turkey clues, we need the APPETIZER and the DESSERT of each entry in the grid.

10. What meal is the APPETIZER? What meal is the DESSERT? Each of those (from five turkey entries) will give us a letter, and the last across entry tells us the phrase will be 10 letters long!

Okay, maybe this was a Level 4, haha.

Mikey G