MEOW #106: Unhappy Endings

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

MEOW #106: Unhappy Endings

Post by DrTom »

Wow, we have had such a great response from some really good constructors that it has been a while since I got a chance to post a puzzle, but today is the day. This is not a terribly difficult one so I hope that you all tumble to the mechanism quickly. The meta answer is an apt description for a day of the week, and yes it sounds vague...big surprise.

Question for all of you: One of the MEOW Wednesdays is the 21st and another is the 28th. I know both of those times might be very busy for you, so I am wondering if you want to skip one or both days for MEOWs. It makes no difference; I have several in the "bank" and a few other constructors who have offered puzzles so it is all up to you. Please post your preferences on the forum so others can benefit from your observations. If you want one on either or both of those days, no problem, but if you do NOT want one it is completely understandable.

Now go ahead and solve the MEOW!

Tom

Kitten
CALICO
Persian
Puma
Lion

"Unhappy Endings" - Crosshare (NOTE: If you enjoy solving on Crosshare, help keep the site running by donating a few bucks).

Unhappy Endings PUZ

Unhappy Endings PDF

Unhappy Endings spreadsheet

Nudges on Friday
Reveal on Tuesday

Help via PM available anytime
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

The cat is out of the bag. Thanks for the puzzle, DrTom!
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

The cat is out of the bag. I enjoyed it.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Cat free. Thanks, DrTom.
Darth

Post by Darth »

Is it Wednesday already? How did Monday and Tuesday get by me? :P
Anyway, the cat is out... [Thank you, DrTom!]
what day is it Dec22.jpg
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Darth wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:36 am Is it Wednesday already? How did Monday and Tuesday get by me? :P

what day is it Dec22.jpg
is from everyone's favorite quasi celebrity family
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Dplass wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:28 pm
Darth wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:36 am Is it Wednesday already? How did Monday and Tuesday get by me? :P

what day is it Dec22.jpg
is from everyone's favorite quasi celebrity family
David,

That was fantastic, still chuckling. Granted it led to an hour or so of YouTube surfing, but very enjoyable. That is a great parody.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Cat unbagged.

A good one from the good doctor!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :cat: :handbag:

What a difference a day makes... I was DNF on this puzzle as a tester. Today I took a fresh crack at the published version, and POOF! There it was.

Well done, DrTom.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Cat is out of the bag. I guess I had a slight advantage today since I had test solved. But I enjoyed doing it a second time!!
Cindy Heisler
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, not bad, not bad - solvers for Day 1
1 edestlin
2 Dave C
3 boharr
4 Darth
5 whimsy
6 Hector
7 Meg
8 Cindy Weatherman
9 ChrisKochmanski
10 dplass
11 KayW
12 Cindy Heisler
woozy

Post by woozy »

Well, after the terrible week last week I thought this week was going really well with the MMM and MOAT and then.... hit the wall on this. The cat would be in the bag if I had a bag or a cat but I can't see anything at all.
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".
hoover

Post by hoover »

I have bags and cats and cats in bags.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

woozy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:53 am Well, after the terrible week last week I thought this week was going really well with the MMM and MOAT and then.... hit the wall on this. The cat would be in the bag if I had a bag or a cat but I can't see anything at all.
Same
rjy

Post by rjy »

Ditto, bouncing between this and the MMMM with nary a toehold
Ray
Meg

Post by Meg »

The cat got a swift kick from a friendly Muggle. Nice puzzle, Dr. Tom.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

DrTom wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:44 am
Question for all of you: One of the MEOW Wednesdays is the 21st and another is the 28th. I know both of those times might be very busy for you, so I am wondering if you want to skip one or both days for MEOWs. It makes no difference; I have several in the "bank" and a few other constructors who have offered puzzles so it is all up to you. Please post your preferences on the forum so others can benefit from your observations. If you want one on either or both of those days, no problem, but if you do NOT want one it is completely understandable.
I say post on every available day.....these puzzles are great. :) (I haven't solved this week's yet, but I'm working on it.)
Cynthia
KayW

Post by KayW »

CPJohnson wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:33 am
I say post on every available day.....these puzzles are great. :) (I haven't solved this week's yet, but I'm working on it.)
I agree wholeheartedly... as long as it is not an imposition on your time nor any of the other constructors and technicians, and IMHO THAT should be the primary consideration. I love all these puzzles and greatly appreciate the effort that goes into them. You all certainly deserve some time off from your highly-paid :lol: positions.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

From the Benchen puzzle:
MOAT crossed! I was about to throw in the towel but Dr. Tom's post motivated me to look for something else to try and there it was.

Hopefully that will inspire me to get back to work on Dr. Tom's puzzle, which I currently am most unhappy about and I don't want it to end that way.
This finally worked out and the cat is out of the bag. So sad that it could not have happened before "this day of the week". Great puzzle Dr. Tom. Well executed on several levels.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

CPJohnson wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:33 am
I agree with Cynthia. I look forward to these puzzles and can always find the time to do them. But if it is an imposition for any of the great constructors, then I can live with that, too.
Cindy Heisler