MEOW #113: Size Matters

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

MEOW #113: Size Matters

Post by DrTom »

Size Matters Crosshare Graphic.jpg
I'm back! Hopefully this one is a bit easier than Chain Letters. We will soon see a full-time return of the Madhatter so you will be treated to more varied mechanisms and tricks once Josh makes his appearance. Hopefully there will still be room for an occasional DrTom meta.

Like most of mine, this was a momentary inspiration where I thought, "I wonder if I can..." and I could. I would have to say this is a Calico at best but I am hoping the solve and the answer will bring a smile to your face.

EDIT: Because there is one "tricky" step to the solve, a few solvers have suggested it is more of a Persian than a Calico! So be forewarned.

The meta answer is the one area where this myth may still apply.

Kitten
CALICO
Persian
Puma
Lion

"Size Matters" - Crosshare (NOTE: If you enjoy solving on Crosshare, help keep the site running by donating a few bucks).

Size Matters PUZ

Size Matters PDF

Size Matters spreadsheet

Nudges on Friday if needed!
Last edited by DrTom on Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
chriscross

Post by chriscross »

The white rabbit arrived on time? My head is covered? The milliner is sane again? Someone help me out here.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

chriscross wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:04 am The white rabbit arrived on time? My head is covered? The milliner is sane again? Someone help me out here.
It took me a bit for me to realize what you were looking for -- I went back and looked at all the clues thinking they were strangely worded (well, they probably are! :P ) and you were looking for some translation.

Then it dawned on me!
Up until last fall @madhatter5 was the constructor (& creator of the MEOW) of most of the puzzles, with some help at times from others. He's in a PhD program currently, and had to take some time off; but he misses us! Aww! (Well, misses constructing anyway.) And is planning to come back and dive in again!

Stay tuned -- things will get even more interesting! :D
Darth

Post by Darth »

The cat is out... to dispel any myths! :shock:
[Meet Samson of NYC, 4 ft. long, 28 lbs.]
391715F000000578-0-image-a-3_1475587851432.jpg
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

whimsy wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:39 am
chriscross wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:04 am The white rabbit arrived on time? My head is covered? The milliner is sane again? Someone help me out here.
It took me a bit for me to realize what you were looking for -- I went back and looked at all the clues thinking they were strangely worded (well, they probably are! :P ) and you were looking for some translation.

Then it dawned on me!
Up until last fall @madhatter5 was the constructor (& creator of the MEOW) of most of the puzzles, with some help at times from others. He's in a PhD program currently, and had to take some time off; but he misses us! Aww! (Well, misses constructing anyway.) And is planning to come back and dive in again!

Stay tuned -- things will get even more interesting! :D
Of COURSE the clues are strangely worded, it is me after all. MadHatter will be back VERY soon and Feb 1st will be a preview of coming attractions because he is slated to have the puzzle that day. You will still see some from me because he has graciously consented to let me use some of the ones I had created ahead of time in anticipation of a longer hiatus. It will be refreshing to see some of his clever (and always devious) mechanisms. ;)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Darth wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:25 am The cat is out... to dispel any myths! :shock:
[Meet Samson of NYC, 4 ft. long, 28 lbs.]
391715F000000578-0-image-a-3_1475587851432.jpg
Let me just bite my tongue and say, "wow that is a BIG cat!" ;)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I would but I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date; no time to say hello goodbye I'm late, I'm late, I'm late.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Off the couch. Thanks, DrTom.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

The cat is out.

I was a test solver on this and it still took a while to get the meta. The memory just isn't what it used to be!!
Cindy Heisler
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Cinny wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:05 pm The cat is out.

I was a test solver on this and it still took a while to get the meta. The memory just isn't what it used to be!!
And I thank you for BOTH solves. Without our hardworking testers all of the constructors would be in a pickle. We all think they are easy because, well, we made made them. I appears to be particularly bad at judging.
Meg

Post by Meg »

The cat was dr………..agged out of the bag, and it was not pretty. There’s something about this meta that is not easy. I can’t put my paw on it.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Cinny wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:05 pm I was a test solver on this and it still took a while to get the meta. The memory just isn't what it used to be!!
I was also a test solver and have no recollection what to do...
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Dplass wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:03 pm
Cinny wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:05 pm I was a test solver on this and it still took a while to get the meta. The memory just isn't what it used to be!!
I can't even recognize whether I test-solved this! And if I did, I can't recall what to do either! :P
KayW

Post by KayW »

whimsy wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:08 pm
Dplass wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:03 pm
I can't even recognize whether I test-solved this! And if I did, I can't recall what to do either! :P
I'll consider myself lucky. I recognized that I solved it before. And while it still took me a while to solve, not nearly as long as it did the first time. At this stage, I'll take any wins I can get.

Thanks Dr Tom!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Leaderboard:
1 Hector
2 Trypmom
3 chriscross
4 Whinsy
5 Darth
6 boharr
7 Cinny (T)
8 Meg
9 Cindy Weatherman
10 dplass (T)
11 KayW (T)
12 CPJohnson

Wow, 12 solvers, 1/4 of them testers...maybe I HAVE vastly underestimated the difficulty (or overestimated my popularity?). That is kind of an abysmal showing the day before the majors (WSJCC, MGWCC) come out. Darn I KNEW I should not have mentioned that Madhatter is coming back, now everyone is saying, "Whew, we can hold off on these because the REAL MEOWs are coming back soon!!!" Just a testament to our Josh.
Abide

Post by Abide »

At this point I could use a Cap'n Rick Nudge 5, where he hits you over the head with a 2x4.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
woozy

Post by woozy »

I see one thing but it's too hazy and only in one section of the grid.
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Abide wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:56 am At this point I could use a Cap'n Rick Nudge 5, where he hits you over the head with a 2x4.
Me too! Just not seeing it!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Got it, but I needed a nudge from @Cinny. Would I have thought of the metanism by myself with more time? Maybe, after a long time of trying to think of others things to count.
Cynthia
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Bag is catless. Thanks, Dr. T!