52. Suit Yourself

Puzzles! Puns! The occasional crosswordese! Solve a new meta at the end of each of month at https://punofakind.blogspot.com/
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Ooof -- needed all 10 nudges and then still had a hard time. Finally got there.
Matthew
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Needed all ten nudges. (Three were not enough.)
Untitledhairball.png
TFTP Mikey!
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Love this metanism, Mikey! Great job!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Got it, thanks to the hints - thanks, @MikeyG
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
woozy

Post by woozy »

Okay. On sunday I knew I had to do nudge 7 but I just couldn't get it to work. Knowing I had to do number seven and going with a fine tooth comb I was able to get 75% there but only because the nudge told me it was possible. And I still fudged the nudge 25% of the time. I got the answer through a rabbit hole after all the nudges and back engineering.

Not sure why it was so subtle to me but it was.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Got it as well. Needed the hints and some focus time. Nice meta.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Looks like we'll finish at 38. Reveal tomorrow!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Puzzle #52 recap

Puzzle #52 answer: TAKE HEART

Correct entries: 38, with one winner yet to be determined! (The general formula of 7 - 0.1x matches; that places this puzzle's level retroactively at 3.2.)

Looking at the mechanism, I do think a Level 3/3.5 split is fair for this one, especially for a lot of the rabbit holes that could emerge here!

Here's how it breaks down:

1. The operative word in the title is "Suit," and I seem to have a propensity for metas related to the number, and the "52" should signal you to a deck of cards.

2. There are (more than, admittedly!) four entries that are symmetrically placed (not a guarantee, but I tried to block off some rabbit holes following the @Cap'n Rick rule of construction! I think @DrTom is known for thematic symmetry also), each of which can be followed by a suit:

DAVID SPADE
HOPE DIAMOND
GLEE CLUB
BRAVEHEART

Each of these can then fit under another clue in the grid, with an additional entry.

DAVID SPADE: "1990s Saturday Night Live cast member" --> ADAMSANDLER
HOPE DIAMOND: "It's on display at the Smithsonian" --> ENOLAGAY
GLEE CLUB: "Activity for singers" --> KARAOKE
BRAVEHEART: "1990s Best Picture winner" --> TITANIC (two clues about the 1990s - unintentional!)

We rearrange these letters in grid order to get the innocuous TAKE - but the prompt says we need two words (not just one!) and 9 letters (not just four!). This would imply the second word is five letters long, and we apply part of the meta-nism one more time to this result to get TAKE HEART, the answer to the meta. (I wonder if anyone tried TAKE SPADE just for kicks - that's good gardening advice, I guess!).

Some challenging metas as of late with both MGWCC and MMM, so we'll see if mine Saturday is any easier! Until then, may your favorite team win! (Unless they're playing mine.)

Mikey G

MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

In honor of CCCC coming out this weekend and my relatively busy Saturday, I'm postponing Meta #53 until a week from Saturday, which is May 6. See you then!

Mikey G