"Which To Believe Completely?" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"Which To Believe Completely?" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? So yes: this grid is going to be tricky. And yes: the meta might be on the difficult side, too. But persevere! I've provided a few pointers here and there, so hopefully you will find your way to the answer which is a four word phrase that means "completely".

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and unlimited attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Which To Believe Completely? - Online Form
Which To Believe Completely? - PUZ
Which To Believe Completely? - PDF
Which To Believe Completely? - spreadsheet

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
rjy

Post by rjy »

Moat crossed, castle stormed… It Took Not Days!
Ray
hoover

Post by hoover »

Moat crossed!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Got it.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Crossed. Stormed.

Nice!

Thanks, Ben!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Moat crossed, castle stormed, task completed. Thanks Ben!
Matthew
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Moat crossed!! Thanks, Ben! That was tricky but fun!!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Moat crossed! Thanks Ben!
Heidi
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :european_castle:

Completed!

..er, well. The meta anyway. Thanks Ben!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Appears I have fallen into the water of the moat and cannot get out. SO far all of the good ideas I have had have only been good until I try to solve the puzzle with them.

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Got it….thanks, Ben!
Cynthia
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Moat crossed with a nudge to revisit something I had tried. Found a way to make it work but not sure why it makes sense. Waiting for the reveal.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Because life is too short for staring at abstruse metas, I'm going to release the nudges early. But first, here's who made it to the answer so far:

markhr
rjy
Hector
hoover
boharr
Meg
Cindy Weatherman
I K Snamhcok
MatthewL
Ergcat
heidi
THC
KayW
Pair O Ducks

That's 14 to get us started. Now let's see if nudges help get things moving...
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. There are two long entries (with "completely" in their clues) that provide directions. But 74 across tells you that only ONE can be believed.

2. There are two other clues / entries that will help you.

3. 8 across and 72 across indicate where you need to begin and end, which will also tell you which of the long entries you need to believe.

4. The answer can be found if you traverse the grid from the top right corner to the bottom left corner - but it's not necessarily a straight line.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I stormed that castle in record time! I loved this mechanism… didn’t need the nudges. If you can get through the grid, you can get the meta. Give it some thought before reading the nudges… all you need to know is hinted at very well!
The other Wendy. :roll:
ReB

Post by ReB »

HeadinHome wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:21 pm I stormed that castle in record time! I loved this mechanism… didn’t need the nudges. If you can get through the grid, you can get the meta. Give it some thought before reading the nudges… all you need to know is hinted at very well!
You encouraged me to give the puzzle one more shot before looking at the nudges, and finally I found what I had been searching for earlier. Ben definitely provided several useful hints, including one that I'd missed.
Berto

Post by Berto »

Ugh! I looked where I needed to look and still didn’t see it until nudged to do so again.
Agree with @HeadinHome - altho I’m more HeadinHands at the moment :cry:

Nice one, Ben!
Moat crossed, but only after nudge 3 slashed through the rope of the trebuchet I was sitting in…
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Found my way.
Untitledzzway.png
Fun -- Thanks, Ben!
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Meta completed and the moat has been crossed (w/nudges). Thanks, Ben
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I'm about to retire for the night, but here's a solver update for you:

CPJohnson
lbray53
imontoo
HeadinHome
SeamusOL
SirMrGuy
Mr Tex
ReB
DrTom
whimsy
Darrell
ajk
Berto
Spid4567
Carolyn
Tyrpmom
PuzNewbie
Dow Jones
BarbaraK

That brings us to 33.