"Directionally Challenged" / "Directionally Unchallenged" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"Directionally Challenged" / "Directionally Unchallenged" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT?

Dear meta solver,

This week you are presented with a choice. There are two versions of this week's MOAT: "Directionally Challenged" and "Directionally Unchallenged". Note that the meta answer is the same for both. This means you will only be able to experience the AHA moment once so choose wisely! Note that "Directionally Challenged" is the puzzle as originally conceived.

Choose which puzzle you will attempt by clicking one of these buttons to read the puzzle blurb:

Directionally Challenged
There are times when a meta idea occurs to me and I think, "Can I do that?" For this puzzle, though, the operative question is, "Should I do that?" You may decide I was wrong to proceed; you may question my sanity; you may even question your own before you reach the end of the grid. But please don't 42 down! If you persevere you will find yourself in a position to solve the meta, the answer to which is something that, unlike this puzzle, cannot be reversed.

Directionally Unchallenged
It's possible that you took one look at "Directionally Challenged" and decided you didn't want to be that challenged just to complete the grid! Be that as it may, you might find the meta in this puzzle slightly harder. But you will never know, because you can only complete one of these puzzles before you learn the meta answer, which is something that, unlike parts of this puzzle, cannot be reversed.

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and unlimited attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile two lists of those who successfully solve the meta.

Directionally Challenged - Online Form
Directionally Challenged - PUZ
Directionally Challenged - PDF
Directionally Challenged - spreadsheet

Directionally Unchallenged - Online Form
Directionally Unchallenged - PUZ
Directionally Unchallenged - PDF
Directionally Unchallenged - spreadsheet

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

I took the "challenged" path but have crossed the MOAT. Very clever construction Ben...thanks for another great meta!
hoover

Post by hoover »

Castle stormed!
[edit] I solved the Challenged version, which in retrospect may have been a more challenging grid fill but a less challenging path to the meta.
Last edited by hoover on Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Directionally Challenged MOAT crossed.
Thanks for the puzzle!
boharr

Post by boharr »

I was Challenged to fill in the MOAT. Once done, I walked across.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Crossed! Stormed!

I did "Directionally Challenged". Fun!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Moat crossed, castle stormed, but got lost on the way to the treasure vault (did the challenged version, by the way). Alas. Thanks for the puzzle, Ben!
Matthew
rjy

Post by rjy »

Crossed/Stormed in a directionally challenged kind of way. Quite fun, Ben!

Although......... this puzzle is like Evan's this weekend, where it messes with your brain for a bit, and takes awhile for the effects to subside. Really enjoyed it tho!
Ray
woozy

Post by woozy »

Very clever. Much easier to to the meta on the challenged.

I was doing the challenged and was wondering you were going to make the unchallenged work. *dope slap* yeah.... crosswords work that way....
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".
Darth

Post by Darth »

:) Ah... Now I won! ha :)
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :european_castle: Demoated.

Since I am perpetually directionally challenged myself, that's the version I HAD to try. Thanks Ben!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

ATM, STC. I am fairly unchallenged directionally (love me a good map, and orient myself by compass or at least by compass “feel” rather than landmarks or verbal directions), so that’s the one I did. This puzzle is brilliant, and with two different versions?? Wow.
The other Wendy. :roll:
ReB

Post by ReB »

Thankfully chose the "directionally challenged" version, and found myself propelled over the MOAT with the help of a 41A in time for a 18A and a meal of 52A with fresh 64As.

!enod yleciN
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Directionally Challenged, but still found my way into the castle. 🏰
This is may be my favorite meta idea ever!
Konnie
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I stormed the MOAT, but my brain hurts. :lol:
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 97. Drab Bag
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

ImOnToo wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:24 pm Directionally Challenged, but still found my way into the castle. 🏰
This is may be my favorite meta idea ever!
Wow, high praise indeed! Thank-you!! :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Dr.Buttbeard

Post by Dr.Buttbeard »

MOAT crossed! Thanks Ben!
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Wow, what an amazing puzzle! And I'm embarrassed at how many submissions I typed in before the aha moment. Thanks, Ben!
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

MOAT crossed via backstroke!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Crossed the MOAT -- Twice --
Untitledzzdouble.png
Did 'em both -- and glad for the order I did them in! Also amused by seeing others' names listed on both crosshare versions. If there's a puzzle in front of us we just can't not do it apparently!

Thanks for this dynamite duo, Ben!