"There's More To This" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"There's More To This" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? Here's a very recently constructed puzzle for you! I'm about 12 months ahead preparing MOATs, even after releasing the MOAT Music Meta Pack (which is still available here). But this is a special one so I've brought it forward. The answer to the meta is a good additional ability for a seer to have.

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and unlimited attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

There's More To This - Online Form
There's More To This - PUZ
There's More To This - PDF
There's More To This - spreadsheet

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Moat crossed, castle stormed. Very clever puzzle, Ben! Thanks.
Matthew
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

Moat crossed, impressive puzzle!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
hoover

Post by hoover »

I've got steps 1 and 2, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :european_castle: Stormed. Thanks, Ben - this one was so much fun!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

hoover wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:25 pm I've got steps 1 and 2, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for.
I have a strong hunch what the last step will be, but still haven't found step 1 (or 2)!

(Of course, usually when I think I know where something's going, it doesn't turn out to be right.)
rjy

Post by rjy »

schmidzy wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:08 pm
hoover wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:25 pm I've got steps 1 and 2, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for.
I have a strong hunch what the last step will be, but still haven't found step 1 (or 2)!

(Of course, usually when I think I know where something's going, it doesn't turn out to be right.)
I'm right in between - I have a clear Step 1 and am certain there's more to this, but just not seeing it...
Ray
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MOAT crossed! You've outdone yourself my friend, that was inspired. I loved it when the final AHA revealed itself. GREAT JOB!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

MC&CS! A great treasure hunt of a challenge, with a fun bonus thrown in. There is indeed more to this, but if I said any more I’d be spilling the beans!
The other Wendy. :roll:
boharr

Post by boharr »

Thanks to DrTom I have crossed the moat.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's where we stand at the end of the first day's play:

Laura M (just 21 minutes after the puzzle was posted!)
Philip Chow
Hector
KayW
MatthewL
SamKat9
DrTom
HeadinHome
DJB
boharr

We are definitely in "week 4" territory with only 10 solvers in 24 hours! But I have it on very good authority that at least 24 people have made it through the first step. ;-)
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Darth

Post by Darth »

The MOAT has been crossed!... Yes, yes it has!...
pedro-veloso-pedro-veloso-twin-tower-concept-1.jpg
Thanks, Ben! You outdid yourself this time! 8-)
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Moat crossed (after a little help seeing what should have been obvious). Super fun, Ben!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

That was fun!
rjy

Post by rjy »

schmidzy wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:25 am Moat crossed (after a little help seeing what should have been obvious). Super fun, Ben!
Same - had all the pieces, stymied by a couple rabbit holes - but needed the slightest nudge to point out what I already had. Still got a pretty - no, a really - great aha! out of the deal! So clever, Ben, quite a treat to solve!
Ray
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Wow! Very well done!

I figured out early on what in general the first step had to be, but spent a day looking in all the wrong places. Once I finally saw what had been right in front of me all along, the steps to the solution just followed so logically and elegantly.

Nice work, Ben!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Crossed! Stormed!

But only with LOTS of help.

Normally I’d be available to other befuddled Muggles looking for a nudge, but note that we’ll be hitting the road soon, and my response would likely be slow. Like “wait a day” slow.
Meg

Post by Meg »

That was fun! Made it with some help across the drawbridge.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's a solver update for you:

Berto
Darth
Pair O Ducks
Jaclyn
rjy
Cindy Weatherman
Meg
BarbaraK
I K Snamhcok

That brings us to 19. I think it's time for early nudges!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. There is a hint in the middle of the grid: Shortened link website that needs 9 more letters to function properly (with ".com/").

2. There's a keyword in the puzzle title that should assist you.

3. Look for "more" in the clues.

4. You need to construct a tinyurl.com link that will have 9 letters after the slash. Note that this link is *not* the meta answer.

5. At some point, for reasons that will become readily apparent, you'll need to look for an additional meta mechanism. The puzzle title will be all you have to go on.

6. Let's just say the answer will be right in front of your eyes!