Have A Good Show!

Formerly known as the “Sunday Summer Substitute”, editor Cap'n Rick now takes the helm for 'Smooth Sailing Sundays'. As The Commodores sang about Sunday morning, the SSS will focus on easier metas. SSS will also support smaller grids and will mentor new constructors on request. Puzzles released each Sunday around 8am Eastern. Nudges released same day at Noon Eastern. New constructors are welcome.
schmidzy

Have A Good Show!

Post by schmidzy »

QUACK! (6).png

Quack Quack!

This dastardly duo of ducks is taking the main stage to bring you a puzzle which we hope will delight and maybe deceive. This one might play a little choppier than you are accustomed to here at the SSS (your Cap’n tried his darnedest to spare you, so direct any and all complaints towards our own humble pond), but we hope some “instant gratification” nudges will ease your discomfort.

Many thanks to @Cap'n Rick for his thoughtful edits, @boharr for test solving, and @Joe Ross for compiling such a helpful document to make creating files a breeze. Special thanks as well to everyone's favorite Aussie, @benchen71, for fact-checking 40A: in his own words, “I, personally was unaware of the word and its usage ... It certainly sounds Aussie though! :D"

Enough chatter: on to the puzzle, the answer to which is something you need for a good show (in theater). Send in your answers on Crosshare or DM them to yours truly. Reveal on Saturday.

Have A Good Show!
Crosshare
PUZ
PDF

Nudges:
1. There’s quite a lot of ways to wish someone a good show! What familiar one did we leave out?
2. What’s your favorite clue in this puzzle? I know ours is 25D (hint, hint…)
3. The long entries are not themers. I repeat, the long entries are not themers…
4. The leg bone’s connected to the - leg bone, the leg bone’s connected to the - leg bone, the leg bone’s connected to the …
5. Did you find four broken leg bones yet? Look at what’s breaking them apart — it’s also something used to keep them together.

20240526-SSS-HaveAGoodShow.png
Attachments
(2.81 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
(177.7 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Sssolved!! Fun one.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Sssolved - thanks for the puzzle!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Ssolved. Bravo! Bravo!
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

It has been brought to my attention that the clue for 13A is incorrect: the author of "The Right Stuff" is Tom, not Thomas. (Not to be confused with the similarly named author of "Look Homeward, Angel"). The Crosshare clue has been fixed.
hoover

Post by hoover »

I think there might be a problem with 14A. I couldn't get CAT to fit.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

schmidzy wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:23 am It has been brought to my attention that the clue for 13A is incorrect: the author of "The Right Stuff" is Tom, not Thomas. (Not to be confused with the similarly named author of "Look Homeward, Angel"). The Crosshare clue has been fixed.
Rookie editor. :D
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Sssolved, but needed the nudges. Very clever puzzle. Thanks for the fun!
Matthew
Darth

Post by Darth »

Sssolved. Awesome puz, schmidzy!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Very speedy solve sans nudges. One of the puzzles where I was hoping I had the wrong mechanism so that I could use it myself. :lol:
Fun stuff, thanks. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Perfect Sunday puzzle level of difficulty! No nudges needed. Fun!
The other Wendy. :roll:
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Got it with the nudges because we were impatient, but we shouldn't have needed them.
hoover

Post by hoover »

I needed nudge #1 to get going, but after that it was SSSmooth SSSailing!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Sssolved. Great puzzle. Thanks!
Cindy Heisler
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :snake: SSSolved, No Nudges Needed. A good show, indeed! Brava!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

SSSolved with the help of a couple nudges...thanks!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Sssolved...needed nudges.....thanks!
Cynthia
Anita

Post by Anita »

Sssolved! That was pretty quick. Used only one nudge and it only confirmed something we'd already thought of. Nice metanism!
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Sssolved. Yes I looked. 🫣
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Sssolved!

No nudges needed. Excellent puzzle! :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock: