#570 - "Funny Guy" - May 3, 2019

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
BrianMac
Site Admin

#570 - "Funny Guy" - May 3, 2019

Post by BrianMac »

Back to Week 1 in what should be a normal month of May, though one with 5 Friday's. :shock:

We are Looking for a famous actor this week.

Good luck!
TMart

Post by TMart »

Got it. And congrats to BrianMac for being one of Matt's Gentle April winners!
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

I'm planetside. (I forgot. Is that what we're going with? Beam me up?)

Anyway, I got it. A true Week 1.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

And congrats, BrianMac! Also, you and I are tied with a streak of 10!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Thanks guys!

Thurman8er, yes congrats to you too! It was a gift from Matt to keep making the end-of-March puzzles easier and then to follow that with a true "Gentle April." I'm hopeful to make it to 11 or maybe 12, but I doubt I will see another streak like this for a while. I've only gone perfect one other month, and that was last year's guest constructor month.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Whew! Got it. I love that Matt has a leaderboard, but it gives me SUCH anxiety when I submit an answer!! :D

And congrats, Brian!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I'm beaming up, one of the rare ones where I saw the answer before finishing the grid! I'm also at a streak of 10, probably the only time I'll get that high. Adding my congratulations to BrianMac!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Beam me up, Scotty! Time to give a fresh look to the WSJCC.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Beam me up, Scotty! A true week 1.

-Matt
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Matt may be having a hard time getting his week 2 difficulty, but he's clearly still got his week 1s right.

I actually submitted my answer before finishing the grid - something I never do. Guess I'm just wild an crazy and living on the edge.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Beam me up Scotty! Now back to the WSJ, which is giving me hissy fits! (Heidi)
Heidi
Anita

Post by Anita »

Heh! I guessed the sol to this one before putting anything in the grid or even looking at the clues! (Of course, I didn't submit till after I'd done the work. My guess could have been all wet.)
LesY

Post by LesY »

Beam me up, Scotty! A true week 1 indeed.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Sometimes it’s so easy. Usually it’s not. With Matt. Who loves to torture us. Oh! Jeopardy is on! This was a week 1 for sure.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Anita wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 6:47 pm Heh! I guessed the sol to this one before putting anything in the grid or even looking at the clues! (Of course, I didn't submit till after I'd done the work. My guess could have been all wet.)
From the leaderboard, it looks like one person submitted a wrong answer. When I see that in weeks like this, I wonder if they sent their guess without doing the puzzle, hoping for the top spot on the leaderboard.

I’ve only been tempted to do that once (what Matt hadn’t had much since his son was born - SLEEP). My guess was right, and I was pretty confident it would be, but I couldn’t bring myself to risk it.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:02 pm
Anita wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 6:47 pm Heh! I guessed the sol to this one before putting anything in the grid or even looking at the clues! (Of course, I didn't submit till after I'd done the work. My guess could have been all wet.)
From the leaderboard, it looks like one person submitted a wrong answer. When I see that in weeks like this, I wonder if they sent their guess without doing the puzzle, hoping for the top spot on the leaderboard.

I’ve only been tempted to do that once (what Matt hadn’t had much since his son was born - SLEEP). My guess was right, and I was pretty confident it would be, but I couldn’t bring myself to risk it.
Yep, and he's done it before (he's often number 1 within a minute). He's actually a brilliant solver... and a Jeopardy vet, if it's who I think he is.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:58 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:02 pm

Yep, and he's done it before (he's often number 1 within a minute). He's actually a brilliant solver... and a Jeopardy vet, if it's who I think he is.
I believe that you are correct. He’s also a prolific constructor.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Beam me up, please.

The gentleness continues, for a little while.
Jack Sullivan
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:23 pm Matt may be having a hard time getting his week 2 difficulty, but he's clearly still got his week 1s right.

I actually submitted my answer before finishing the grid - something I never do. Guess I'm just wild an crazy and living on the edge.
This week I did solve the meta before putting anything in the grid - but I did it by IMDB and had all of the long grid answers in my head before submitting. It's fun to be high on the leader board, but not worth risking a good streak.