"Double Trouble" March 24, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

Got it with Zoom help. I gotta remember the basics better.
Fogway

Post by Fogway »

I tuned into the Zoom meeting, but having bad connectivity from my hotel in Paris, I left after a few minutes. I submitted my best guess.

Au revoir (to quote a recent meta answer).
Lyman

Post by Lyman »

It's much harder if you incorrectly read your handwriting in the grid! Once that got fixed, ashore.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Thanks to everyone for tuning into the Zoom Session!!! Great fun as always!! I am always amazed at the clever approaches people take in trying to solve these metas! Have a great weekend to all!!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Barx2a

Post by Barx2a »

Ashore. Amazed that I did it quickly and alone. No nudges. No zoom. It must be a really easy one.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Oh my gosh. I’m with the head slappers. That took me far longer than it should have. I’m on shore.
Justmarebear

Post by Justmarebear »

Should be a crowded beach... always nice to have an easy one...
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

Ashore and thirsty.
Perhaps, perchance, the ladies below have some refreshments to offer.

Some students at Wednesday evening's help session were speculating if they could get an extension on the due date of the Math 325 problem set. One student observed that the basketball players probably won't have any difficulty getting extensions.
Will the Tigers be dining on Bluejays this evening?
9.5 point underdogs
Witches ... sing your song thrice and again, then the charm is firm and good!
RussHiggins

Post by RussHiggins »

Solved with the help of my grand-daughter Caroline, pictured in my profile. She is a little older now. Hawiian Punch for us!
WDunbar

Post by WDunbar »

On shore
TheCatt

Post by TheCatt »

On shore, probably one of our fastest ever.
Sara Dacus

Post by Sara Dacus »

woozy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:36 pm Easy.

One the beach but as I was badly OREO-ROLLED (painfully... I honestly didn't see it coming) I'll bite back by deliberately ordering a Dirty Girls Scout.
Oreo-rolled is fabulous terminology.
halseymac

Post by halseymac »

Aye Aye Captain Stubing !! This NC Tar Heel is on shore. Meta and Grid solved! Fun one!
Relic

Post by Relic »

Late start, slow grid, slower than should have been finish, but on the beach looking for a parking space and adult beveage. I'll take whatever you got left cabana boy, unless its Jäger. I need something that goes down eazy.
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

Ashore for the seventh week in a row! I'm getting sand fleas.
I am a man of few...
meowmiao71

Post by meowmiao71 »

On shore after finally climbing out of an annoying rabbit hole.
mikeB

Post by mikeB »

Ashore. A very nice treat for a Friday afternoon -- an unusually entertaining grid and very interesting mechanism. And for me a reminder: Constructing a meta like this involves much more than coming up with a mechanism. Imagine the wealth of vocabulary, mastery of language, general knowledge and real work required to get the mechanism to gel coherently. Hats off to Matt, Mike and others who can pull this off.
RobM

Post by RobM »

What's the etiquette of submitting a second answer when you submit one that you realize was wrong and then you get the right one? That's what happened to me this week. At any rate, I'm on shore, even if I hit a coral reef that I thought was solid land on the way there.
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are proud to join our pals on shore...........sand feels good on Friday. Had it yesterday but had to think about it for a day to convince myself that it was the target - feel OK and in the mug hunt.
linsocalm

Post by linsocalm »

Nice to end the week on the beach! Fun one!