"Pack Up Your Troubles" by Wendy Walker

Formerly known as the “Sunday Summer Substitute”, editor Cap'n Rick now takes the helm for 'Smooth Sailing Sundays'. As The Commodores sang about Sunday morning, the SSS will focus on easier metas. SSS will also support smaller grids and will mentor new constructors on request. Puzzles released each Sunday around 8am Eastern. Nudges released same day at Noon Eastern. New constructors are welcome.
hoover

Post by hoover »

I see a thing, but something tells me I'm only getting half the picture.
hoover

Post by hoover »

hoover wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:08 pm I see a thing, but something tells me I'm only getting half the picture.
That's all I needed, was to type a whiny message. SSSolved!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

OK, friends, it's time for the SSS Reveal!
Seven words in the grid are types of bags -- Book, Air, Gift, Doggie, Rag, Overnight, and Paper -- as alluded to in the title, the upbeat WWI ditty "Pack Up Your Troubles in Your Old Kit Bag (and Smile, Smile, Smile)." Their first letters spell out BAG DROP.
@Abide kindly provided us with a real-life illustration of a bag drop: the one at the Coeur d'Alene golf course.
Other themers I tried were bean, duffle, saddle, hand, tote, plastic, brown, trash, laundry, and gym, but they just didn't work out.
Thank you all for solving my puzzle and for your very kind comments. And I had no idea there was such a thing as an onion bag; thanks, @ajk !
The final solvers were Hoover, Katiedid, Tane, and Julie Bookworm, for a total of 49. And our randomly chosen winner is @lbray53! What has he won? A tote bag knitted by yours truly. @lbray53, please let me know your mailing address and I'll send it your way. Congrats!
@BarbaraK's SSS drops tomorrow and it's really fun! Highly recommended.

BAGDROPreveal.png
bagdropreveal.jpg
Last edited by Wendy Walker on Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Thanks Wendy. Bob and I got the bag part but then we dropped the ball.
You are good at this! ❤️Marge.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

MaineMarge wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:08 pm Thanks Wendy. Bob and I got the bag part but then we dropped the ball.
You are good at this! ❤️Marge.
The same! Nice puzzle and obvious in retrospect. Got 5 of them but ragbag and overnight bag (I never go on vacation, haha) eluded me.

Fantastic job once again!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 95. Dinner and a Show