Look Both Ways

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Lurking around here waiting for a posted nudge. A nudge other than the ones in the puzzle itself. ( :
The other Wendy. :roll:
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

OTC
-- after getting my mechanism approach verified, and having it suggested to me that a submission that would be accepted was, ahem perhaps an expression that a younger generation would more readily use. :P

@rjy I like your naming of our constructor! - - Ducks! -- It's got that Mrs. Doubtfire/Brit vibe.

In honor of that, I'll sign off with advice from our London friends --
Untitledzzlondon.png
Thanks for the puzzle!
Last edited by whimsy on Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

HeadinHome wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:10 am Lurking around here waiting for a posted nudge. A nudge other than the ones in the puzzle itself. ( :
Same. I'm looking both ways (and several others) and still firmly embedded in the couch.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

20 solvers from day 1:

EdBogie (TS)
Abide (TS)
merlinnimue
Meg
benchen71
Hector
Darth
boharr
DrTom
damefox
rjy
Schmeel
lbray53
Bird Lives
Wendy Walker
Laura M
imontoo
Berto
I K Snamhcok
whimsy
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

This one seems to be playing tougher than expected! How about a couple early nudges?

1. The meta prompt may have been cleaner without the specification "10-letters" -- and I've set up Crosshare to accept some other permutations of the answer.

2. Most solvers seem to have easily found what to add: where specifically did you add those things?
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Off the couch, with an enormous shove from a friendly Muggle. Would never have gotten there on my own.
Matthew
markhr

Post by markhr »

Nope, still lost. Not even close.
Maybe some Wednesday nudges might help..
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Off the couch with a bit of help!!
Cindy Heisler
KayW

Post by KayW »

Apparently I am not "most solvers". I think I'll need to wait for "nudge zero" :lol:
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Finally got it without nudges but not before making a couple wild guesses yesterday and one more whiff today after I found the right path. OTC now and thanks for the puzzle, @schmidzy
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

KayW wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:43 pm Apparently I am not "most solvers". I think I'll need to wait for "nudge zero" :lol:
I promise I'll have some nudgier nudges tomorrow!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Geez, I must be overthinking…🤔. But I really enjoy these metas!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
ajk

Post by ajk »

Solved (kinda) after being nudged about a characteristic of the answer. But still don't see the 10 letter version, so I think I should only get half credit. :lol: :lol:

ETA: and of course right after posting that now I get the 10-letter one (I think) :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Nine more solvers on day 2:

hoover
MatthewL
Cindy Heisler
THC
Mwoychick
Philip Chow
ajk
BrennerTJ
Rufus T Firefly
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

And now for some more comprehensive nudges:

1. What body part, and a useful one for puns and wordplay, is suggested by the title?

2. Where might you add that, as suggested by 39A?

3. The meta answer is a phrase suggested by the location of the added things.

And a big shove off the couch:

3b. In case you're unfamiliar with the phrase, you can google for "to give someone the [singular synonym for 39A] [body part]"
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Was shoved off the couch. Wonderful puzzle. Thanks for the challenge. :).
woozy

Post by woozy »

schmidzy wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:29 am :

3b. In case you're unfamiliar with the phrase, you can google for "to give someone the [singular synonym for 39A] [body part]"
Oh, I made the assumption that the answer was a ten letter word even though there was no such stipulation. And that completely thwarted me. Entirely my fault. But it totally threw me.
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

woozy wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:33 am
Oh, I made the assumption that the answer was a ten letter word even though there was no such stipulation. And that completely thwarted me. Entirely my fault. But it totally threw me.
If I had a dollar for every time I've done the same darn thing, I'd have a lot of dollars!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Finally got it; needed all the nudges and a helpful suggestion from another muggle. I was not familiar with the term. But thanks for the puzzle!
Cynthia
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I'm another one shoved off the couch. Congrats to those of you who got it without hints. From the first hints, I spent a good amount of time knowing basically what I had to do, but still couldn't come up with the right answer.