"School Success" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Moat crossed!
Heidi
ReB

Post by ReB »

MOAT crossed after enduring multiple mental lapses while completing the final step.
Seattle DB

Post by Seattle DB »

Today's puzzle is dated 10/10 and it's by Benchen (I'm trying to make a rhyme, so let me finish, lol!) And If this puzzle was posted on Muggles back on October 10th of the year 1010, we could have had a 10/10/1010 crossword by Benchen. (Egads, I can't believe I'm posting this nonsense, but what the heck!)
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Seattle DB wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:27 pm Today's puzzle is dated 10/10 and it's by Benchen (I'm trying to make a rhyme, so let me finish, lol!) And If this puzzle was posted on Muggles back on October 10th of the year 1010, we could have had a 10/10/1010 crossword by Benchen. (Egads, I can't believe I'm posting this nonsense, but what the heck!)

Umm -- Sounds Like Someone I Know? :D
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

While we are still half an hour away from the end of the first 24 hours, here's the first list of successful solvers:

woozy
I K Snamhcok
Berto
SeamusOL
Laura M
Cindy Weatherman
Ergcat
Pair O Ducks
Tom Wilson
boharr
rjy
Hector
Capn Rick
CPJohnson
Katiedid
JHSeeman
SamKat9
lbray53
dannyvee
kymike
Darth
MatthewL
Cindy Heisler
Tyrpmom
ajk
markhr
DCBilly
DIS
Bird Lives
Meg
merlinnimue
Carolyn
KayW
hoover
heidi
Spid4567
kurtalert
JM
Darrell
Philip Chow
whimsy
ReB
Gutman
Jaclyn
MrTheHan
frostyjhammer

That's 46! Woo hoo!!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

I made the same assumption as a few others in the Crosshare comments did, and sent in an incorrect entry. Then I realized what I needed to do. Fun one! Thank you, Ben!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Some more solvers for you:

Alex Sisti
Jeremy Smith
DrTom
Andrew Bradburn
Charles Montpetit
Steve M
BarbaraK
LindaPRmaven

We're up to 54 now. Time for some slightly early nudges!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. There is one hint in the grid: 77 across. "A PLUS" is a grade for a top student and a hint for what to do to the starred entries.

2. Did you notice that, apart from the meta hint, there were no other "A"s in the puzzle?

3. Add an "A" to the five starred entries.

4. The words you form are alternate answers to other clues.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Running behind this week. Crossed the most without a nudge. Thanks, Ben!
Konnie
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Another update for you:

Dow Jones
jbird
Johnny Luau
imontoo
Abide

That's 59. Next (and final) update before the answer reveal Monday morning, Australia time.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Just one more solver, bringing us to a nice round 60 solvers:

MikeyG

Onwards to the answer reveal...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "School Success":

School Success (solution).png

Observant MEOW solvers might recall a similar metanism in a DrTom puzzle from a while ago. I swear my puzzle was created before DrTom released that one! :D

By the way, I love that many people submitted PRISE assuming that was the Australian spelling of PRIZE! Unbenownst to me, it turns out that PRISE is an alternate spelling for PRIZE in Britain, but definitely not here in Australia. Here it means "use force in order to move, move apart, or open (something)" and is often used in conjunction with "my cold, dead hands". :lol:
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Printed the puzzle last Tuesday, but somehow it got buried in the piles of midterm exams...got to it this morning and crossed the MOAT with no need for nudges. Thanks for another fun meta, Ben!