"Double Trouble" - December 3, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Tina

Post by Tina »

I guess you have to be a certain age. I was 17 in 1987 and was always listening to pop/rock radio and I know who Lou Gramm is and I immediately knew the name of that song.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

TeamDoubleTow wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:17 pm We were videotaping something for our son when we said the phrase in unison and joked it could be the meta phrase... It was!

On shore with much glee!
At which point you yell "Jinx" and lock pinkies
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
femullen

Post by femullen »

When Isaac had switched me to tea,
I staggered from weather to lee,
Cracked open my head
On the deck, then I said,
"I sholved it, sho shend Mug to me!"

Ashore.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
kfahey714

Post by kfahey714 »

I found myself ashore and got all excited and then realized I solved "Ball Control" from last week as that's what comes up on my WSJ page - this weeks puzzle is MIA for some reason. I came here, realized it was last weeks. But I was correct! I guess I'll take it.
Hamrock

Post by Hamrock »

Finally! Got it! Phew, can enjoy the weekend!
Julie
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening Muggles

Our Friday report has been delayed for several reasons:
I had a dentist appointment - does anyone like going to the dentist other than the dentist him/herself
I had to get stomped by my wife at rummy once again - a quick and decisive victory today
I got waylayed by the MGWCC
I read Femullen's posts - kind of like a series of Burma Shave signs (for those who are old)
We have 9 pages of comments after a month of 2-3 pages

The result is that we have 113 on the shore and 14 on the ship (and I counted kfahey714 on shore even though it had the ring of the movie Castaway
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Finally on shore after a bit of redirection. Jeesh!
Heidi
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:15 pm Good evening Muggles

Our Friday report has been delayed for several reasons:
I had a dentist appointment - does anyone like going to the dentist other than the dentist him/herself
I had to get stomped by my wife at rummy once again - a quick and decisive victory today
I got waylayed by the MGWCC
I read Femullen's posts - kind of like a series of Burma Shave signs (for those who are old)
We have 9 pages of comments after a month of 2-3 pages

The result is that we have 113 on the ship and 14 on the shore (and I counted kfahey714 on shore even though it had the ring of the movie Castaway
Bob, I get my teeth cleaned/sharpened four times a year. While I don't like 'being at' the dentist, I am always happy after the fact. 1 crown in 35 years after grinding my teeth at work and breaking a molar (honest), but otherwise no issues other than replacing old fillings.

As far as Burma Shave, I'm more of a hee-haw kinda guy, as in: "call BR-549, and ask for Junior Samples". They did have some decent fake Burma shave sequences.

(If you want a real time waste google BR-549/BR5-49 and explore all of the seemingly unrelated info.)
Rufus T. Firefly
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

I still don’t see this puzzle on the WSJ site where I have been finding it for years. It sounds like only a few other people are having this problem. What gives? Where do I sign up for the email with the link? I might have a major meltdown if I can’t get to the puzzle when it comes out!
Tomgebhard

Post by Tomgebhard »

Solved in a random moment of inspiration. I turn 70 tomorrow and I could think of no better gift than the WSJ mug. Yes, it will be mine! A round of drinks for all my friends Isaac!
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

higgysue wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:54 pm I still don’t see this puzzle on the WSJ site where I have been finding it for years. It sounds like only a few other people are having this problem. What gives? Where do I sign up for the email with the link? I might have a major meltdown if I can’t get to the puzzle when it comes out!
You can find it here amongst the other puzzles: https://www.wsj.com/news/puzzle

Here's the link for just the Friday Meta crosswords https://www.wsj.com/news/types/crossword-contest, but it still isn't linked there for some reason, and the same thing happened two weeks ago.
tmitchell300

Post by tmitchell300 »

On shore. This was about the squishiest click I've had, but I'm pretty confident in my answer. I could defend it in a court of meta law, if such a thing existed.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

tmitchell300 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:46 pm I could defend it in a court of meta law, if such a thing existed.
Please don't give Peter @Abide any ideas.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

ZooAnimalsOnWheels wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:10 pm
higgysue wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:54 pm I still don’t see this puzzle on the WSJ site where I have been finding it for years. It sounds like only a few other people are having this problem. What gives? Where do I sign up for the email with the link? I might have a major meltdown if I can’t get to the puzzle when it comes out!

Here's the link for just the Friday Meta crosswords https://www.wsj.com/news/types/crossword-contest, but it still isn't linked there for some reason, and the same thing happened two weeks ago.
Thank you. That second link is where I usually find it.
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:15 pm
>>>
You think the *dentist* likes being there??!! :-)

If you were 17 in 1987, I'm wondering where you saw those Burma Shave signs. . .
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

higgysue wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:53 pm
ZooAnimalsOnWheels wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:10 pm

Thank you. That second link is where I usually find it.
The intern learned that interns don't receive holiday bonuses a couple of weeks ago & has been "accidentally" misclassifying puzzles, delaying publication, etc. Hey, it's possible.

I learned to bookmark the first link after similar frustrations. It's a good reminder, ZAOW. Thank you!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

mntlblok wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:00 am
Aha! Just the nudge I needed for that evasive "Aha!" I hear that it's best not to even do shallow shore dives whilst drinking, so I shall hold off on the Miller Lites (with plastic "squeeze" lime. But, it *is* Friday. . .
[/quote]

Guess I could study up on how to do this thing from the FAQ, but I'm pretty scared of that kind of stuff - "To display the image use the BBCode [img] tag"

That shore dive thing worked out OK.
RichA2

Post by RichA2 »

Ashore. Was an enjoyable trip.
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

mntlblok wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:04 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:31 am I am on shore with a special comic for @DrTom and other punsters

https://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/2021/12/03

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mentalblo ... 0199609853
With apologies in advance. . .

It was a dark and stormy night. The wind howled. The light-, oh, never mind. A knight is on his way to battle when his steed up and dies underneath him. The knight trudges on in the dark, wet, and cold, and is finally releived to see a farmhouse ahead with a light on. A young girl answers the door.

"I must have a horse!" cries the knight. "I need to get to the battle!"

"But we have no horses. My father and brothers have left for the battle themselves!"

"Oh dear, what shall I do? I am one of the bravest knights in the land! They need me at the battle!"

"One moment." After a time, she returns with a large Great Dane. "His name is Duke. My brothers ride him sometimes."

The dog is old, mangy, and hardly looks fit for riding. The knight looks at the girl and says, "Surely, you wouldn't send a knight out on a dog like this?"
kamashdas

Post by kamashdas »

On shore. Was on the tip of my tongue for about an hour! Finally coaxed the answer out. Will have to go see what is day 3 in the "Advent Wine" box tonight.