"Front-End Alignment"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Joe Ross

"Front-End Alignment"

Post by Joe Ross »

Good morning Muggles (Gosh I feel like Charlie from “Charlie’s Angels”). It is my turn again in the Muggle forum, and of course I am delighted to be here. We have so many new dabblers that it is getting harder and harder to get one in the rotation – what a wonderful problem to have (you know the old adage, you can’t be too rich or have too many Meta creators!).

Anyway, my puzzle for today is called Front-End alignment and it has been carefully crafted with LOADS of input from our own Peter and Al. It might be a little harder than my usually softballs, but no more than a 2 at best I’m sure. I promise I am working on some more challenging ones, and however challenging they are for you they are MORE of a challenge for me (and poor Peter and Al).

The meta answer is a car company.

PM me with solutions or problems, nudges posted on Thursday and Saturday (if any needed)

DrTom

Front-End Alignment PUZ

Front-End Alignment PDF

Front-End Alignment spreadsheet

NUDGES! If you see that I have solved, feel free to PM me, along with what you have done so far, and I'll be happy to nudge you onto the right track.
This is a community, feel welcome, and never feel uncomfortable asking a question.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

I think I’m off the couch - answer submitted, will update either way when I know
Thanks, Dr. Tom - fun puzzle!

Edit: confirmed :D
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
vandono

Post by vandono »

Loved the puzzle! I felt like I knew what the "jargon" one was with one letter but ran it by sweet wife who has certainly performed a BUN test so she'll get half of whatever satisfaction I get out of solving this.

I see some things that look promising on the meta; unfortunately the parts I'm most confident about could match two different car companies. And I could be entirely wrong about the mechanism so I'm going to mull on this a bit.
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Went down a very intriguing rabbit hole before finding the way
🏃🏻🛋
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I have already seen the blueprints for some VERY elaborate warrens and was surprised at the creativity, and wariness, of Muggles. They were wrong, but oh so intriguingly so.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Off the couch!
Great puzzle - thanks!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

DrTom wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:18 pm Well I have already seen the blueprints for some VERY elaborate warrens and was surprised at the creativity, and wariness, of Muggles. They were wrong, but oh so intriguingly so.
Capturerabbithole.PNG
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

@DrTom , so far the meta is elusive. But for the grid, as Robert DeNiro said to Billy Crystal in "Analyze This," "You're good, Doc."
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

The clues are oh-so Dr. Tom! (63D is worth the price of admission. Which... come to think of it... is actually nothing.) And I appreciate the shout out in 50D, though I wouldn't want to go there, close though it may be to my heart. (And only because they say home is where the heart is, and it's close to home.) They show both the width and breadth of Dr. Tom's knowledge, but also the punny side we all know and love.

I went down one of the rabbit holes. Currently working on another, better one.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

REMINDER: PM DrTom with your solutions.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I’ve been nudged off the couch.

And I’m rather disappointed with myself for having needed a nudge. Why didn’t I … oh, I shouldn’t say more.

Fun puzzle, Dr. Tom!
Tom.Runner

Post by Tom.Runner »

Off the couch. Enjoyed both the grid and the meta!
Anita

Post by Anita »

Off the couch, I believe. If there's a Crosshare I'll confirm that way.
boharr

Post by boharr »

DrTom has released me from the couch. Devious and fun. Thanks.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Off the couch.

After struggling for a bit one of the methods I often try, paired with one thing that I always do, finally worked.

Fun puzzle. I followed several very short rabbit trails.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Meg

Post by Meg »

I’ve fallen right off the sofa but my bag of Lays is intact. The clue for 18d had me laughing for several minutes. "Must find a g-rated interpretation!" And I did, eventually. Thanks Dr. Tom for the entertainment!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Off the couch, waiting for confirmation. Enjoyable puzzle. Thanks, Tom, especially for my name-drop in 68 across!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

My experience on this one was identical to Chris’. While probably not my favorite puzzle ever, I think 58D is a little extreme for a test solver’s punishment.
KayW

Post by KayW »

cadillac_sofa.jpg
Submitted but confident I'm in gear and off the couch. A most fun puzzle and meta! Still chuckling over 10D.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.