"L Words" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
woozy

Post by woozy »

benchen71 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:58 pm
woozy wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:43 pm 64A was a little weird IMO but I guess it isn't inaccurate. Just weird.
There is a very good reason for that to be in the grid! It's, as @Cap'n Rick would say, an easter egg! :D
Oh! I get it!

Still weirdly worded as Billie Burke originated the role....
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

woozy wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:49 pm Still weirdly worded as Billie Burke originated the role....
I was relying on my general knowledge. :oops: Apologies to all musical fans out there!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Berto

Post by Berto »

Moat crossed! L of a puzzle! Thanks Ben!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

After a slight misstep (but one with a perfectly logical reason) I crossed the MOAT. I had an L of a time, but agree once you catch on it is probably a level 1. Thanks for the puzzle Ben
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the first solver list:

Darth
Meg
Alex Sisti
Hector
boharr
Tyrpmom
markhr
Gutman
woozy
HeadinHome
MatthewL
Carolyn
Katiedid
JM
Mr Tex
Philip Chow
I K Snamhcok
ajk
CapriciousDewy
Pair O Ducks
Cindy Weatherman
Ergcat
SamKat9
Berto
Laura M
DrTom

That's 26 to get us started.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
hoover

Post by hoover »

All I see are *s.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Took a nudge that I already knew but had applied incorrectly. Clever puzzle and metanism, Ben! Wish I had gotten it nudgelessly but sometimes you just don’t see the thing. Like the MEOW 😬
Ray
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Moat crossed. Sadly, considering this is one of my granddaughter’s names, I needed help. Clever twist at the end.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Untitledzzprincess.png
Finally plowed through those front doors --

Tasty!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

A solver update for you!

Schmeel
rjy
lbray53
whimsy
Darrell

That brings us up to 31. Nudges in the (Aussie) morning!
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Castle Stormed....was a bit stuck for a bit, but plowed through.

Fun one, Thanks Ben.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

One additional solver bringing us to 32:

JHSeeman
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. Your only clue is the puzzle title. But you might have to think phonetically!

2. The five clues with leading asterisks have alternate answers.

3. The alternate answers all start with EL.

4. You might have to take those ELs away, only to bring one back again, in your journey to the final answer.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Needed a castle guard to pull me out of the moat and into the castle. Hopefully the alligator bites will heal by next week.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :european_castle: Nudged across the moat. That was an L of a puzzle, Ben. Thanks!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Another solver update:

ReB
KayW
LindaPRmaven
Spid4567
Jerry Miccolis
Sanne

That brings us up to 38. Next (and last) update before the answer reveal Monday morning...
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Nudged across the moat. Thanks, Ben!
Cindy Heisler
hoover

Post by hoover »

Took all the nudges and a ton of googling, but I've been hauled across the moat.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Moat crossed with nudges. Forgot to look for them yesterday.
Heidi
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Needed two nudges, but probably should've only needed one (if any) in retrospect. Got across the MOAT just in time!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 95. Dinner and a Show