"L Words" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"L Words" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? Here's a "week one" meta for you; it includes 5 clues with a leading asterisk which should hopefully bring the difficulty down a bit! I had some fun putting this one together. I trust you will enjoy solving it and seeking the answer to the meta, which is a girl's name.

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and unlimited attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

L Words - Online Form
L Words - PUZ
L Words - PDF
L Words - spreadsheet

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
SeamusOL

Post by SeamusOL »

Haven't crossed the moat just yet, but thought I should let you know that I think you have misspelt 67a.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

SeamusOL wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:22 am Haven't crossed the moat just yet, but thought I should let you know that I think you have misspelt 67a.
Argghhh, not again!

I've updated Crosshare, but the PUZ and PDFs are gonna have to stay as they are. If you want a correct clue...

67A. "La ___ Bonita"

It's not meta-related.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Darth

Post by Darth »

De-MOATed! "Rex mortuus est!" :shock:
images (36).jpg
Meg

Post by Meg »

Happily tripped across the drawbridge. Thanks for the *s. Nicely done puzzle!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
catzila

Post by catzila »

Fun puzzle, although I got tripped up pretty heavily by the aforementioned misspelling.

To be honest, I still don't understand the meta... could someone kindly give a hint to help clue me in?
woozy

Post by woozy »

benchen71 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:01 am
SeamusOL wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:22 am Haven't crossed the moat just yet, but thought I should let you know that I think you have misspelt 67a.
Argghhh, not again!

I've updated Crosshare, but the PUZ and PDFs are gonna have to stay as they are. If you want a correct clue...

67A. "La ___ Bonita"

It's not meta-related.
um... haven't done the meta (just the grid) but isn't that still the same misspelling.
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Stormed the castle with the help of my little sister and my favorite great-aunt who have that name. (When it's my sisters middle name... well her first middle name... and they didn't really help, I just like the family connection of the name)
Stinky Pinkies!

HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Stormed — not as easy as a “week one” as advertised, I think, but mighty clever, and gettable if you get your google on. This was my beloved 4th-grade teacher’s name, and I don’t know if I’ve met another since!

The correct clue for 67A is “Mrs. Baron Cohen.” That’s what’s in the PDF now (Crosshare still has it as “La ____ Bonita”)
The other Wendy. :roll:
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Moat crossed, castle stormed, names taken. Thanks for the puzzle, Ben!
Matthew
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Crossed! Stormed!

The solution, I was pleased to see, is my dear daughter-in-law’s middle name. Very nice!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Agree that it's maybe more a 2 than a 1, but well executed and fun all the same. Thanks. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

So far haven't gotten the meta, but as I currently understand it Sacha Baron Cohen is married to Lisa Bonet.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Stormed the castle! Saw nothing all morning but got there in the end, definitely a bit above a week 1 for me. The answer is my niece's name :)
rjy

Post by rjy »

sharkicicles wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:45 pm So far haven't gotten the meta, but as I currently understand it Sacha Baron Cohen is married to Lisa Bonet.
Nope, Lisa is just someone he likes to sail with…
Ray
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

My corrected clue for 67A was wrong! So, even though the PUZ and PDF will remain unchanged, Crosshare will now have

67A. Casablanca's Lund

Again, it's not meta-related.

I went to bed last night before there had been any solvers, and had dreams about how the puzzle was unsolvable! Glad to see some solvers made it across the moat over night. :D
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Crossed the moat! Very clever, Ben! Thank you!
woozy

Post by woozy »

HeadinHome wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:51 pm Stormed — not as easy as a “week one” as advertised, I think, but mighty clever, and gettable if you get your google on. This was my beloved 4th-grade teacher’s name, and I don’t know if I’ve met another since!

The correct clue for 67A is “Mrs. Baron Cohen.” That’s what’s in the PDF now (Crosshare still has it as “La ____ Bonita”)
The are both wrong in the same way. Sasha Baron Cohen is married to Miss Fisher whose name is spanish and related to the ocean and not a nordic name.

64A was a little weird IMO but I guess it isn't inaccurate. Just weird.
Stinky Pinkies!

benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

woozy wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:43 pm 64A was a little weird IMO but I guess it isn't inaccurate. Just weird.
There is a very good reason for that to be in the grid! It's, as @Cap'n Rick would say, an easter egg! :D
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

Moat crossed! I thought the meta was a little tricky but getting the answer was very satisfying. Thank you!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!