"Front-End Alignment"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Waiting for confirmation, but confident that I have submitted correctly.
I mean, I’m pretty sure.
I can defend it.
Maybe I’m right. 🤞🏼
Konnie
Darth

Post by Darth »

Off my Octane Turbo XL700 leather power reclining sofa... :roll: Nice way to start the week! Great puz, Tom!
Attachments
turbo-sofa-black-2_1.jpg
Bbaack

Post by Bbaack »

At first I had trouble METAbolizing this one, but the good doctor gave me something so I could finally digest the puzzle. Otherwise I would have taken two and called him in the morning...
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Off the couch and on the way to my favorite, nearby pub.
Thanks, Dr. Tom!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Capturerumbleseatcouch.PNG
Meet me out at Paradise Road, @KayW! :twisted:
Captureflash.PNG
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:22 pm And I appreciate the shout out in 50D, though I wouldn't want to go there, close though it may be to my heart. (And only because they say home is where the heart is, and it's close to home.) e.
Well why not "Leaves of Grass" and "Poor Richard's Almanac" are both great reads! I suppose the debate is whether one is better than the other and that depends on a combination of perspective, context and need, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

benchen71 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:07 pm Off the couch, waiting for confirmation. Enjoyable puzzle. Thanks, Tom, especially for my name-drop in 68 across!
Can't think of that without a nod to our Aussie brother! Surprising how often it comes up.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

oldjudge wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:15 pm My experience on this one was identical to Chris’. While probably not my favorite puzzle ever, I think 58D is a little extreme for a test solver’s punishment.
Peter insisted I add the B.....
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

KayW wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:22 pm cadillac_sofa.jpg
Submitted but confident I'm in gear and off the couch. A most fun puzzle and meta! Still chuckling over 10D.
Hmmm...I believe I have been in that back seat, but it was many years ago and it looks different in daylight and without the windows steamed.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

So, as my British friends would say - Good Effort!

We have had lots of solvers and a lot of positive comments (thank you all). I'm posting the first day leaderboard early for me because I was up early to take the wife to a procedure and I'm fading fast. Here are the earlybirds:

TS Abide
TS Al Sisti
(by the way, if you liked the Title I cannot take credit, that was all Peter and Al. These two were not only test solvers they were Cher's to my Nicolas Cage - i.e. "Snap out of it!" when I was headed off track. Heck, any more help on this and I'd have to give them co-author credits)
1 MMe
2 MarkWoychick
3 Carolyn
4 markhr
5 Dannyvee
6 Andrew Bradburn
7 Tom.Runner
8 Schmeel
9 Mindle
10 runart
11 woozy
12 boharr
13 ChrisKochmanski
14 lbray53
15 Anita
16 michaelm
17 Meg
18 benchen71
19 KayW
20 oldjudge
21 ImOnToo
22 Bbaack
23 Darth
24 whimsy
25 dudeski
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Sitting on the couch, scratching my head and thinking about cars, a recent post on a British car group site came to mind.
cop chase.jpg
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Meg wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:44 pm I’ve fallen right off the sofa but my bag of Lays is intact. The clue for 18d had me laughing for several minutes. "Must find a g-rated interpretation!" And I did, eventually. Thanks Dr. Tom for the entertainment!
And there I was thinking cricket. I gotta get out more...
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Meg wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:44 pm I’ve fallen right off the sofa but my bag of Lays is intact. The clue for 18d had me laughing for several minutes. "Must find a g-rated interpretation!" And I did, eventually. Thanks Dr. Tom for the entertainment!
I never noticed any non-g-rated clues and had to go back and see what you were talking about. Not sure if that means I need to get out more or you need to get out less:)

Nice grid, but I’m still on the couch with the usual assortment of shallow rabbit holes.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:38 pm
I never noticed any non-g-rated clues and had to go back and see what you were talking about. Not sure if that means I need to get out more or you need to get out less:)

Nice grid, but I’m still on the couch with the usual assortment of shallow rabbit holes.
Same, and same.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Still staring at this one. See some interesting things, but nothing that leads to a carmaker. Awaiting the nudge day.
The other Wendy. :roll:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wow - I NEVER intended this to play so hard, it was intended to be one of my usual high arc, low speed softballs. There will be hints tomorrow AM of course and another on Thursday. However, if it is making you question either your sanity or self worth (as these consistently do to me) PM me and I'll let the cat beam up off the couch and over the moat early by providing them to you.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I believe I am off the couch. Finally got to this one today.
Heidi
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

I think I have it so I will cautiously claim that I am off the couch!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Good morning - here is an update to the leader board. The latest one happened DURING the Muggle Zoom last night, I guess "loose lips solve grids"

Be sure you pop over to the MEOW if you want another dose of me! (luckily I am not habit forming...which in my case naturally would entail sewing a lot of black material together)

New to the solver list:
26 Lesy
27 JeanneC
28 hcbirker
29 BrennerTJ
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Definitely not there yet - awaiting nudges later today?
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D