"Piece Process" May 10, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
iblinked

Post by iblinked »

On shore!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Ashore!
Finally saw the light of day.
Lagomorph picture only allowed to see the light of day on Monday.
Crest

Post by Crest »

Safely ashore!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Whew--I am ashore. We just finished watching The Martian (I've been hankering to see it ever since the hexadecimal meta). I grabbed my PIEce of paper, glanced at the meta again and knew I wasn't going to need to send out a mayDAy signal as I unequiVOCally have the answer! I'll fETch a drink from the tiki bar tomorrow as I have an early morning birdwalk.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:59 pm Ashore. Tough enough solving the grid on an iphone--had to come home and put it on paper to see the meta.
I’m also on my phone. As you say it ain’t easy. I’m visiting mom and there’s no printer. I’m lucky she has wifi.
I thought the grid was a bear but I finished it.
Can’t seem to get the 🤔 meta. I might need to go to the nearest kinkos (do they still exist?) to print the puzzle.
Isaac, I’ll take a shandy for now.
Jackie J

Post by Jackie J »

Ashore! Grid was challenging but meta was a fun solve. WooHoo
HeyMikey

Post by HeyMikey »

Ashore!
I completed the grid but we left to attend my nephew''s wedding before I could discover the mechanism. Inspiration struck during the two-hour drive home and I confirmed it as soon as I could get the grid in front of me.

Jane beat me again this week as she got the answer on Thursday night.
I prefer my kale with a silent K.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

EVJ wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:11 am I might need to go to the nearest kinkos (do they still exist?) to print the puzzle.
If they don’t, Staples, UPS Stores, and public libraries can usually do it.

Who me? Frantically looking for a place to get a puzzle printed on vacation? Never! Well, maybe occasionally 🙂
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Grover

Post by Grover »

Ashore. There were some crazy rabbit holes to fall into.
KayW

Post by KayW »

DrTom wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:20 pm Well that took entirely too long to see...but see it I did finally. WHEW I was afraid it would be related to my own puzzle like it was last week that I flubbed. Thankfully not a beer related answer.

I had soooo many rabbits I chased before one of them said, "Hey, you are hunting the common bunny not Nesalogus netscheri!" The moral is, when you hear hoofbeats do not think ZEBRAS!!!

PhotoFunia-1711833538.jpg
Ah but sometimes it IS a zebra...
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Ashore! Did take a key one-word hint though. G&T tonight!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:12 am
EVJ wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:11 am I might need to go to the nearest kinkos (do they still exist?) to print the puzzle.

Who me? Frantically looking for a place to get a puzzle printed on vacation? Never! Well, maybe occasionally 🙂
@BarbaraK and @EVJ - I take a few of these with me on my trips. I get the clues on line and do the grid on paper.

https://woojr.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... -paper.gif
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Coffee for me please, Isaac. Yeah, I finished the grid but haven’t figured out the meta. Think I’ll go back to my cabin and watch the simulcast of Madame Butterfly from the Met this afternoon. Went to a local theatre last year for Turandot and it was great!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Ashore. Came quickly this morning. Go figure!
Kevin
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:12 am

Oh, I’ve gotten the puzzle printed in hotels and on cruise ships many times! I tell them it’s a very important work paper 😂
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Saturday morning muggles

Before we get started, we are planning another New England Muggle Meetup this summer (like the Patriots we are claiming the entire region and not just Boston). In the crossword spirit, we are looking at having it in Natick. Like last time it will be on Thursday and we will collectively do the WSJ meta on a large board. If you are interested in going even if you are not in New England, send me a PM. And spouses and significant others are more than welcome.

And for those doing the MGWCC, if 13D looks familiar, it is because it was the meta answer on the MMM by @Cap'n Rick April 29. And in that theme, now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

An interesting challenge by Mr. Shank that you may have had to sit back and ponder for a while. So far we have 2 on the ship with Isaac and 156 on the shore. And we are handing out sunblock at the request of @Meg and her cabana boy.

On the shore are

docison
MikeyG
SHIWUTONG
CptnCodon
oldjudge
Wendy
Beth A
krf
dpl11
Jace54
Peter
Scott M
Dave C
Joe R
Eric P
michaelm
Mme
Mister and Mrs. Squawk
bagman
Cindy
Mike H
hoover
Meg
ajk
darth
will j
Red jbb
NebFaninCA
DCBilly
HeadinHome
Chris
David Wi
minimuggle
Brainbow
ky-mike
Anita
Ann
pjc
Pam wants a mug
boharr
sharkicicles
Beleaguered Castle
Sheila
flepper
SamKat9
Beth T
M and M
MajorDomoTom
NDStegs
lxpeterson
Cruise Director
Char
BrennerTJ
Al Laubenstein
Heidi
Don and Cynthia
Barbara K
JoDave
Laurab
batfella
Ergcat
Gman
Jeremy
RobM
fourletterword
benchen71
Steveb
joe
Guffman
b4alltime
Dow Jones
Geezer Weezer
Tom S
D B Miller
Laura
olev
woozy
lbray
Harbo
TeamDoubleTow
ArthurD
elvanya
DelanQ
Richard
straffin
ErikThor
DannyWalter
chriscross
jsf56
Kay
Al
DavyGravy
Trish
Berto
Wescovington
Miki
Schmeel
Fred
scooby
clonefitz
Katiedid
mikeB
Mirage
Kas
VanVeen
emmy
Joepickett
Zagman49
mattythewsjpuzzler
Josh
CPJohnson
Jean
Cinny
Craven_Mug_Craver
Acarl
otlaolap
Tina
BigPear
Barnhart6
Les
nosolvenosleep
Doug C
sjm
hunkra
ELSavage
JaneGummy
Libbypibby
Ron
IHeartMusic
Zobo3737
Lyman
FatJack
halseymac
jrdad
newbymar and brothers
DrTom
Franky_T
SingleMalt
Bob B
Merry Potter
EmilyW
meowmiao71
kurtalert
Gerry
Justmarebear
RichA2
Mikey and puzzle buddy Jane
chocoholic
whimsy
Jackie J
Crest
iblinked
Grover
ladybird
auee89
Sleepy
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Collegetowngirl

Post by Collegetowngirl »

On shore. Looking forward to the discussion on Monday because this one definitely did not align with the usual steps I take to solve! Possibly exhaustion from the grid caused me to look at it in a new way. Or just dumb luck. Thanks BarbaraK for the great explanation!!
skidly

Post by skidly »

I'll add myself to the onboard ship list.
Just not seeing it yet. Must be in my blindspot.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Ashore, finally, thanks to the tiniest of hints from a kind muggle (more of encouragement to look at it in a different way). I shall take a beer, please.
Matthew
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:51 am Before we get started, we are planning another New England Muggle Meetup this summer (like the Patriots we are claiming the entire region and not just Boston). In the crossword spirit, we are looking at having it in Natick. Like last time it will be on Thursday and we will collectively do the WSJ meta on a large board. If you are interested in going even if you are not in New England, send me a PM. And spouses and significant others are more than welcome.
And don't worry about the venue. We know that "Natick" can be difficult to find at times, but we will provide specific directions and/or nudges if you need them. :D
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!