MGWCC #832 — “Name-Dropping”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Well that took longer than it should have.
Jay
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

Solved, also with a lot of googling!
GGX

Post by GGX »

GGX wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:49 pm I’m not seeing it and I don’t have much time this weekend to puzzle over it. Would some kind muggle send me a nudge in DMs?
Thanks to those who reached out for help. woozy gave me just enough to get me to see it!
Dr.Buttbeard

Post by Dr.Buttbeard »

Finally just had my aha moment - awaiting beam!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Had to sleep on it and keep coming back, then wow! Love that aha moment, and great puzzle, Matt!
Ray
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Beamed.

Needed a little nudge, which at first didn't help. Until I wrote out all the reasons it didn't work. Then it did. And it was fun working through it, though I needed to do some web searching for parts of it. Fortunately, the answer didn't require any.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Started yesterday and saw...nothing. A little post enlightenment sesh...and there it was. Very clever. Once again the way in was something I have learned from many of you clever muggles.
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Beamed up. Thank to a little nudge which told me I already had the right ideas, just had to put them together the right way.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20240510-MGWCC832-NameDropping-REVEAL.png
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Back in the day (Dec. 1988, but who’s counting?) , a New York Magazine competition asked for name chains — this sort of thing: Mike Shenk/ Marie Kelly/ Al Green/ Kermit the Frog, and so on. Ten names, beginning and ending with the same one. The winner included the sequence Madam Butterfly/ Mark Spitz/ Sam Goldwyn. I thought it was brilliant.
Jay
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Darn it.... I didn't get this one, but my first thought when I saw the prompt was Mark Spitz. Shoulda submitted ....
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I never got this one either. Saw the big hint in the title to focus on partial names. Also saw the parenthetical about part of the name that's often in crosswords. And I interpreted that totally the wrong way. I went looking for athletes who shared part of the name with the theme entries.

Looking for just olympic medal winners who shared a last name (as with non-olympian hockey player Orr) I found Brooke Bennett, Jessica Monroe, Vickie Orr, Jonathan Horton, and Alice Bridges - that gives... nothing. (And there were a couple other options for some of those.)

Also tried first name last initial matches and first initial last name matches. Found people but no useful complete set.

Got tired of all the uninteresting sports googling. Never thought of googling theme entry alternatives.

Expecting a five letter name, I also immediately thought of Mark Spitz, but I'm glad I didn't submit the wild guess. I never do that with any other metas, and while I have on occasion with MGWCC, I don't like getting it that way.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
woozy

Post by woozy »

Hey!!

Was the title to this always "'Name dropping' by Matt. G"?!

If I had *ever* noticed that the title had "by Matt. G" this would have been a solid 2 instead of the 5 I gave it.
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.