"Make It An Even Dozen" May 3, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Solved with a head slap!
femullen

Post by femullen »

Team Canuck are solidly ashore, all thanks to The Smarter Half, who knows more about American cities than her old man.

We'll share a rum bowl.
Last edited by femullen on Sat May 04, 2024 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Paulleonard

Post by Paulleonard »

What do people mean by "ashore"? Is that related to the puzzle, or just a way of saying you figured it out? This puzzle has me stumped!
clonefitz

Post by clonefitz »

clonefitz wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:18 am Boatside, with Isaac.
On the beach!
Momo

Post by Momo »

Ashore! But I need to buy Director Bob and my husband a drink! Bob for a great nudge and the hubby for getting there before me. First time he beat me. Now I have to beat him in golf. Alls fair in meta and sports. 🥳
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Paulleonard wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:47 pm What do people mean by "ashore"? Is that related to the puzzle, or just a way of saying you figured it out? This puzzle has me stumped!
Hello and welcome!

The full back story about our ship/shore metaphor is at viewtopic.php?t=34#p361

But the short answer is yes, "ashore" means you figured it out, because crosswords often clue "at sea" as lost and confused.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
DianeA

Post by DianeA »

Ashore with a pretty solid answer. How about a G&T? I had the mechanism figured out last night, but couldn't seal the deal. Sitting in a little sunshine on the porch this afternoon, it came to me.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Ashore, with a VERY red face. Someone (thanks @jimbo1 pointed me to the thing that had been nagging my mind but I could not pull the trigger on. I will not submit of course, not will I even try to get a spot on the sand. For reasons a few dozen of you will know I do not feel I even deserve a soda after this one. Though perhaps something alcoholic will help soothe my ravaged soul.

Me today!!!
Push-Pull-Door-i-run-by-faith-169x300.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Department of Shameless Self Promotion!!

If you have completed the WSJ and all the others, and/or are just tired of trying to decipher what some maniac constructor (like me) was going for, take a break from the madness with a different kind of madness. I made a non-meta, nonsense puzzle that I hope will be fun to solve and to try to live in DrTom's head for a while. Here is a link to it on the Muggle site: viewtopic.php?t=2875
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

Made It Ashore.
WendyinCA

Post by WendyinCA »

Hey Everyone! First time poster here. This is my first time ever spotting the meta, but what I'm ending up with isn't computing with Google (lol!). I think I'm ashore, but it might be an illusion. I might end up on the Sunday night Zoom call once again..til then, onward and upward! :P
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Still on the Ship

I haven't seen a very clear path to the solution yet.
Untitledbuntheforce.png
Between a long-weekend book discussion retreat and, oh yeah, hockey, there hasn't been a lot of puzzling time for me the last few days.
May(be) the fifth the force will be with me.
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

After a couple nudges, can safely say on the correct shore. Think I’ll pass on the mug this week since I probably would never have seen this on my own. Would love to hear the story on the process of building this puzzle!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

whimsy wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:57 pm Still on the Ship

Untitledbuntheforce.png

Between a long-weekend book discussion retreat and, oh yeah, hockey, there hasn't been a lot of puzzling time for me the last few days.
Man BOS-TOR game 7 was either a defensive gem or a snooze fest depending on your take.
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Ashore, thanks to @Bob cruise director for confirmation!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

sharkicicles wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:51 am
whimsy wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:57 pm Still on the Ship

Untitledbuntheforce.png

Man BOS-TOR game 7 was either a defensive gem or a snooze fest depending on your take.
It followed the trend of some of the other games. Very defensive. The last three games were 2-1 and no game had more than 6 goals scored.

Each team had 31 shots on goal so the save percentages were off the charts.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We are on shore. Looked at it Thursday with no idea but Friday it came quickly. Saving the festive beverage for this evening. Cheers!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

Another week of cruising at sea for me. Even looking at the stuff that Gaffney obviously highlighted, all I see is zilch. A shower of letter confetti piling into drifts. And once I've reached this mental state, I cannot climb back out to see stuff anew. May the mug find one of you all this week instead.
mitchel674

Post by mitchel674 »

I'm stumped. There goes my streak. :roll:
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

Ahoy Isaac. Good to be with you. I may have another look as time allows today, but it looks like a ship week for us.