"Make It An Even Dozen" May 3, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Plymouthrock

Post by Plymouthrock »

A mint julep of course. The leftovers.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

sharkicicles wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:51 am
whimsy wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:57 pm Still on the Ship

I haven't seen a very clear path to the solution yet.
Untitledbuntheforce.png

Between a long-weekend book discussion retreat and, oh yeah, hockey, there hasn't been a lot of puzzling time for me the last few days.
May(be) the fifth the force will be with me.
Man BOS-TOR game 7 was either a defensive gem or a snooze fest depending on your take.
I'll go with the gem! :D
Untitledzzgem.png
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

I remain at sea, but haven’t given up completely just yet.
Franky_T

Post by Franky_T »

Ashore since last night.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles

Welcome to our newest muggles @Paulleonard , @avian and @WendyinCA . Great to have a growing muggle family.

And as a note to all our new muggles, if you get stumped and want help there are several options. First we have zoom solving sessions on Friday at 4:30 and Sunday at 8:00 using the link at the top of the page. The other option is to send a Private Message to someone who has solved the meta (on shore).

Also there is a wealth of solving information in Come Aboard under FAQ - Community/solving Resources. In addition to hints in solving meta contests there are all of the past WSJ contests and solutions to practice on and a meta course. Also, there are many other metas to have fun with at Other Meta Crossword Puzzles

So far we have 18 on the ship with Isaac and 170 on the shore.

New to the ship's bar are

ImOnToo
Susan G
Paulleonard
avian
whimsy
otlaolap
Ben B and son
mitchel674
JRS51

While making their way to the shore since yesterday are

Momo
Jean
Diane
jimbo1
Tcassutt
Steveb
Penny_Keatley
Powers2020
femullen
DrTom
clonefitz
Sleepy
WendyinCA
TeamDoubleTow
PlymouthRock
eagle1279
Franky_T

Good luck to all winning the mug.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

hoover wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:43 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:38 am
Abide wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:44 pm Late start, but made it in short order. I was able to avoid the symphony of Discord notifications/traffic this afternoon, which was affecting my golf swing.
@Abide: "Golf is a particularly severe strain upon the amiability of the average person's temper, and in no other game, except bridge, is serenity of disposition so essential. No one easily ruffled can keep a clear eye on the ball ... In golf it is safe to say that he who loses his temper is pretty sure to lose the game."
From "Emily Post's Etiquette," 1929 edition (collecting old etiquette books is one of my odder hobbies)
I have one called Welcome aboard; an informal guide for the naval officer's wife that my mom got when she and my dad were newlyweds: https://search.worldcat.org/title/1314695 I borrowed it for the nostalgic humor value and never gave it back. It has helpful stuff like how to address the CO and his (it was always a his) wife, proper seating and table settings, etc.
I got mine (Service Etiquette, third edition) shortly after my husband-to-be proposed. I had to go search my bookshelves to find it, but boy did it come in handy in 1982 to plan a military wedding. Apparently, the author, Oretha D. Swartz, was known as the "Miss Manners" for the military. For giggles, I looked it up on Amazon and there is now a 5th edition.
Sara
SingleMalt

Post by SingleMalt »

Ashore!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

KAS5 for me. Got there with a nudge and glad I did not spend hours looking at this while on vacation. Back tot the real beach. Stay well all.
Attachments
P5020314.jpeg
Yoda66

Post by Yoda66 »

Got it after a small wheel alignment from @Bob cruise director , but enough for me not to officially submit the answer. I had the answer but a minor double flaw on the meta (enough for me to ask for confirmation) got me stumped at the 1 yard line.
“You must unlearn what you have learned.”
Ann

Post by Ann »

On the shore!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Made it Ashore.

Nibbled on this since Thursday in between books, but only succeeded after asking @Bob cruise director for the big stick to release the goodies.

Untitledbunfiesta.png
woozy

Post by woozy »

EEEP! I need to submit!
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I am still on the ship, by GOLly, and haven't made a DENt with solving. This is mainly oWINg to having logGED a lot of hours on birdwalks--in case you weren't aWARe, it is spring migration and the birds are BLasting through on their way north. Even though I haven't solved (yet), I am still having this lovely pilsnER.
20240505_150843.jpg
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Dragged to shore with the kind help of another Muggle. My mind was elsewhere this weekend - we were at the University of Utah for two graduations - our daughter's undergrad degree (nursing), and our middle son's graduate degree (master of statistics). Go Utes!
IMG_0361.jpeg
IMG_1786.jpeg
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
Colin

Post by Colin »

Blindfolded at bar,
“Harvey Wallbanger to go!”
Can’t see for looking.
One world. One planet. One future.
ricky

Post by ricky »

Nudge needed. Been staring at it for 2 days.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Well it did finally pop out at me! Definitely SAD.
On shore.
bread-girl

Post by bread-girl »

On the shore!
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Debate, pause, debate.... and finally, we think we're ashore!

Rita and George
Joe

Post by Joe »

Last Call to the rescue! On shore.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.