"Piece Process" May 10, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Craven_Mug_Craver

Post by Craven_Mug_Craver »

kurtalert wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:59 pm Either I'm an idiot and can't connect the dots, or this puzzle has some incredibly misleading rabbit holes. Grid was pretty smooth, but this is definitely a frustrating meta. Usually I see something and find my way to the answer fairly quickly, or I see nothing and happily give up, content to wait until Monday to see what I was missing. I'm in limbo this week!
I had a bit of a hard time, too until I saw something that --with a bit of effort and a few instances of going back to correct-- unraveled the thing. Ping me if you need a nudge.
---

Grids are easy...metas are hard.
sjm

Post by sjm »

Ashore relatively quickly.
Barnhart6

Post by Barnhart6 »

On shore… solved the meta-between driving stops on the way to Hilton Head! I’ll have a Guinness once I get there.
Thanks to all the muggles in this group. Participating is the highlight of the week!
Brian B
Merry Potter

Post by Merry Potter »

Ashore- I'll have a black and tan to celebrate...
If I don't win a mug, I can always make one... ;) but it won't have the same cachet.
meowmiao71

Post by meowmiao71 »

On shore but not entirely happy with things I won't mention in case they count as spoilers.
mlvilv

Post by mlvilv »

I am clearly missing something because everyone seems to be ashore relatively quickly. I see a whole bunch of things and I thought I had a path but it led nowhere. I will keep at it!
RichA2

Post by RichA2 »

Ashore, and glad to be here.
ELSavage

Post by ELSavage »

Ashore!
Got a late start this week (not until Friday :o ), and had to wait until classes were over to post.
The grid was not as hard [for me] as the comments led me to expect, though it still seems we're in a run of challenging ones.
I did trip over a couple of rabbit holes, and got stuck in one that has my statistician senses tingling, before I had to put it down to go to class.
Picked it up again on the way to lunch and had the aha moment while walking down the hall.
Definitely helped to put it down for a while and clear my head (or rather, stuff it with other distractions).
FatJack

Post by FatJack »

Ashore!

Tough grid! but the key to the meta hit me after just a glance
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well, once again I see rabbit after rabbit, but in truth I see nothing consistent I can hang my hat on. Ah well. lots of time left.

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
LesY

Post by LesY »

Solved and ashore! Time for a Friday beverage - perhaps a Grolsch.
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

Ashore! Coffee please
nosolvenosleep

Post by nosolvenosleep »

It took a few looks yesterday and today, but I found the way to shore.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well that took entirely too long to see...but see it I did finally. WHEW I was afraid it would be related to my own puzzle like it was last week that I flubbed. Thankfully not a beer related answer.

I had soooo many rabbits I chased before one of them said, "Hey, you are hunting the common bunny not Nesalogus netscheri!" The moral is, when you hear hoofbeats do not think ZEBRAS!!!

PhotoFunia-1711833538.jpg
Last edited by DrTom on Fri May 10, 2024 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

Ashore. Filled out the grid this morning with an unpardonable amount of Google assistance. Got nowhere on the meta. Went out to buy Mothers' Day card and giftlets, returned home with refreshed eyes, and quickly found out how to float to the beach.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

INTRUSION ALERT!

I'm here to see if there's interest in attending Columbus (Ohio) Symphony Orchestra's

Friday Coffee Dress: Beethoven Symphony No. 2
Next Friday, 5-17, 9 AM, Ohio Theater
Join guest conductor Kenneth Bean and the musicians of the Columbus Symphony as they put the finishing touches on the weekend's performance.

Tickets are only $14 and include Coffee & Donuts!

The BONUS is that our muggle creator, Lydia, @schmidzy, Pair O Ducks on crosshare, plays Flute/Piccolo in the orchestra.

I've had one other muggle PM me to show interest. If you'd like to attend & meetup, I look forward to hearing from you!
IHeartMusic

Post by IHeartMusic »

Ashore! Diet Coke for me, please.
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Ashore! Wasn't seeing it even with the help of the Zoomers... but then it just hit me. Slightly tricky and fun! With this damp cool weather, I think I'll crack open the last of our home-brewed Stouts. Happy Mother's Day to all who celebrate!
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
Lyman

Post by Lyman »

Ashore. Stared and stared, but then found it.
Justmarebear

Post by Justmarebear »

A little help from the muggles, so on shore, but not a solo solve, so not in running for a mug.